1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube PRe-amp Question with recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Hey there

Allright I have a Presonus Tube Pre-amp.

I am wondering If i can run my bass into the pre and out of the pre and INTO MY Computer to record?

its pretty simple, and im just wonderign!

thanks guys

2. Yes, you can. I have produced demos that way, but keep in mind that most PC sound cards are not built to make world class recordings. You will not hurt anything, but your results will be less than stellar. Buy a 3 dollar cable and give it a whirl!

3. thanks! Im gonna try her oat and Iw ill let you know.

I bought a Shieled Audio Cable 1/4' to 1/8' and then an adaper that brings the cable from mono to sterio!

4. ok

It sounds like complete ass. Its all distorted, and I dont know whats going on.

Im plugged in like this

Bass>pre-amp>computers.

Im using Kristal recording software...

any idea why its all Crunched up and fuzzy!? Its almost like the sound needs to be filtered before going into the computer but its not.

5. A stock on board soundcard is going to be a problem, but you can probably get something useful for demos with a bit of fiddling. Some things to check:

1. Most of these cards have both line in and mic in, if you are using a preamp you definitely want the line in.

2. The dynamic range of the card is going to be really, really tiny. This is not a problem with the bit depth but with the analog side of the input circuit. Keep the levels pretty low coming out of the preamp.

6. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    You are probably clipping the input of the computer's sound card.

I would try lowering the output level of your preamp, see if that resolves the issue.

7. yea im lowering the input volume but i dont think its working....

hmmm i am not sure what to do.

the card is SoundMax digital audio

ill keep looking

8. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Lower the output volume of your preamp, not the input volume of your computer's sound card.

9. If I just straight up run from my bass directly to the computer it actually sounds pretty decent.

BUT it seems to pop and Snap?

Bass is real smooth then you will here this "pop!"

haha i dont know what that heff that is...anyone know what that popping sound is?

10. sounds like you are using the mic rather than line input, or you have a pretty hot active bass. a quick poke around the net says the line in should be blue, mic is pink.

11. I am using the mic jack...this is a laptop

I dont think there is another input in this mother.

And yes, the Aria pro II has hot bassline pups.

but i dunno.

12. With only a mic input you probably do not want to be putting another pre in front of it. Is there a setting anywhere in the computer to switch that input from mic to line? Could be a checkbox that says something like +20db or something like that.

If there is any way to get the onboard mic pre out of the way you will be better off for sure.

13. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    You preamp would be outputting close to a line out level signal so that would overdrive that mic input a good bit causing the unpleasant noise you were hearing.

14. thanks guys!

still can't get rid of that popping soud, pluggin the bass right into the mic input.

Might just go back to the olde, mic up the amp and run the mic into the recording system. doesn't work out to bad, and you can actualy get a good sound out of it.

just me making some recordings of my songs.

15. I run my "line" level into my mic port (laptop).... you really have to turn down the pre and up the cards input vol..

For pc open the windows audio mixer and select options> properties> then click recording. Should leave you with two mixes, Mic level and stereo mix. This will allow you to adjust you input vol, not the vol coming through your speakers as the standard windows mixer does.

Also make sure your (advanced) mic boost is off. If your bass plays through the mic port as is, your boost is probably still on.

16. I used to get better results lowering the card's volume then bringing up my amp.