1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tube pre for ampless gig

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by karlgustav, Sep 14, 2008.

1. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    Hi

I play mostly with inear monitors lately and am looking for a tube pre ( with compressor preferred ) dont have a huge budget so at this point I am between to options:

ART pro channel
    http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=79&cat=1&id=4

or M-audio Tampa
    http://cgi.ebay.com/M-AUDIO-AUDIO-T...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the signal chain is:
    bass - pre - D.I FOH and TRS split to stage for mon mix.
    to some point I want to add tuner and effect/multieffect.

I know these are not bass designated pre amps but at least the EQ on ART makes me hope that there is few usable tones to dial from it.

there are also some cheap and smaller tube pre's like ART tube pac and Studio V3 , but I dont trust in things so small and cheap ... altough it would save me from rack.

any ideas? is anyone useing some of the pres mentioned or something else with good results (or bad just for a warning) in live or in studio.

KG

2. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    is this a right place for the topic or should I post it on the amps section?

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I'm thinking: used Alembic F-1X. I'm leery of these other models with their impressive-sounding write-ups. Raves & specs don't mean squat, especially when they're provided by the manufacturer. The Alembic is super musical and as part of my amp rig, it delivers a huge round warmth I haven't found elsewhere. I'm sure there are other solutions - that's the one that delivered for me.

4. Is there a particular reason you're specifying that you want a tube preamp? Would you consider a tube-emulating pre like the Tech21 Bass VT? I've got one on order, so I can't say for certain how well it will work for you, but I have yet to read a review on the VT that's not positive.

5. If tubes are not really neccesary than the Phil Jones BassBuddy might be the solution.

6. I bought the ART Pro Channel last week.

I'll be returning it. Awful. The micamp is actually not too bad, sorta thin but whatever. EQ is ugly sounding and the compressor is almost useless on bass. It's really noisy as well.

7. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    thank you for the inputs.

projectMalamute, could you explain the useless compressor part?

I have Fishman platinum bass pre that I have used sofar.
    the soundguy is demanding on a tube and a compressor.

about phil jones bass budy- is the pre section same as in briefcase?

best regards
    KG

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When do soundguys get to dictate the band's equipment?

9. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    well :) ... i guess when you let them.
    we are working to get the good sound from studio to up on a stage.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes. I own the Buddy and I used to own the Briefcase. :) It contains a fairly decent compressor, so if you added a DHA VT1 or similar tube pre pedal before it, you'd be in great shape.

11. RBI

12. dirtygoat

dirtygoat

Sep 13, 2008

I used to have an Alembic F-1X...

I loved it, used it live with my rig or as a pre into the PA...

Recorded with it once and was impressed...

I should of never sold it...