1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube-pre's for DB player.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hensonbass, Oct 13, 2004.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I borrowed a SIB Fatdrive pedal from a friend for an experiment. I tried my German 3/4 bass and Eminence bass (Realist pickup on both) through this pedal and my sound has really gone up a notch. I just ordered one today 'cause when I go back to hearing myself without it I don't like what I hear as much. This pedal takes away that 'honky' aspect of the piezo pickup without messing with the overall eq. I can run my AI Focus amp completely flat and can get as much volume as I need without feedback.

I know electric bass players swear by these pedals and it worked great with all of mine as well. I don't hear much about DB players using tube-pre's. Considering the sonic aspects of many piezo pickups I would think it would be beneficial to use one. I would be interested to hear what other players think of this.

2. I use a TubeWorks 4001 DI.
    It improved the tone of the piezo signal a lot.
    I increased its input impedance from 1 Megohms to 3.3 Megohms to get even better results.
    Most of the time, weak piezo tone results from impedance mismatch.