1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Works Combo model 3175

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Hello, seems like the 15" speaker has crapped out of my old combo. It is only 100 watts at 8 ohms. But still gets pretty loud.

Any ideas on what would be a good replacement 15" speaker?

thanks.

Attached Files:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I got really close to pulling the trigger on one of those probably 20 years ago in a pawn shop.

Here's what I do with speaker projects. I'm no good at speaker math, so I call people who are. Measure the inside dimensions of the cabinet and call US Speaker. They will give you several options that will work well with a cab that size. If it is ported, measure the port diameter and depth as well.

http://www.usspeaker.com/

Funky-Wunky likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The original speaker is no longer available and this was before our time with the brand, but my experience says that the original driver was along the lines of an Eminence Beta 15A. It's a fairly low powered driver (disregard the 300 watt claim for bass guitar application) though you might also like the Alpha 15A as well. Both are adequate power handling-wise for your application.

They are not expensive speakers to buy, and available at all the usual places.

Funky-Wunky and Stumbo like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware rep.
    Direct from the the source. Can't get any better than that! Let us know how it works out.

Funky-Wunky and agedhorse like this.
  5. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I really appreciate your knowledge and help. I had looked at an Eminence Legend CB158, which is a little heavier. Do you think that would be a little overkill? Thanks.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I think it would work ok but certainly is overkill.

Funky-Wunky likes this.