Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Works question (RT-3300)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redhiker, Nov 4, 2005.

1. redhiker

redhiker

Nov 4, 2005
    I am an acoustic guitarist (sorry), but recently acquired my dad's old jazz bass and want to start playing it in another band with some friends, but I am AMP-LESS.

I have found all kinds of information about lots of makes and models, trying to make a wise choice, but I usually like to have gear that is less "mainstream", and cheap! I was looking at this Tube Works piece on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7363624172

, but I can't find much for reviews and such online, and nobody I know has ever heard of them, but nonetheless, it looks like a killer amp.

Does anybody out here have one of these, or ever heard one? Any comments on reliability, tone, etc,.? Sorry for any newbie stupidity in advance. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

-redhiker

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have tried one of these in a store before. Really warm and great for rock. Nice equipment. I have been tempted to collect some of their gear.

3. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I have had one of these for maybe 10 years now.

It has been dead reliable for me, I acquired mine with a matching 4x10 (with horn) type cab, I'd describe the tone as a little bright for my tastes, but not obnoxious. If it has the original preamp tube in it, I'd consider changing it (mine was a Tube-Works labelled 12ax7 I _believe_ of Yugoslavian origin) I thought was a bit brittle sounding, a used telefunken I found cleared that right up :D .

Mine has been relegated to backup status, not because of any real shortcoming, but because I've ended up with a new rig as result of TalkBass induced GAS...

If I found a great deal on one I'd pick it up just to have another......

One thing to consider is the cabinet you're going to use with it... as that is a 2 OHM head, and you wont see anything near that 300 watt rating unless you're running it at 2 OHMS....

SM

EDIT: Mine is the rack mount version, but the one in that auction seems to have all the bells and whistles mine does.... the blendable effects loop (with very adjustable send and recieve levels) is a real plus. A common complaint for these things (all TubeWorks stuff I've used anyway) is scratchy pots, a quick shot of contact cleaner has cleaned all mine up nicely... the pots are a notched type and simply operating them vigorously through their full range may clean them up well enough.... Here's the manual.
    http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/tw/3175&3300UserManual.pdf