1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuner Help

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by anotherbassist, May 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the pickups subforum but here goes. I recently started learning upright bass I got a gift card to Strings and Beyond Buy Guitar Strings and Accessories Online and Save!. I wanted to to get a clip on tuner and found some reviews online and went with this, the Intelli tt-500: Intelli TT-500 Clip On Guitar Tuner

I clipped it on the bridge of my bass and it would barely pick up the A string much less the E. I'm thinking about returning it and getting either the Intellitouch PT10 or the Fishman FT1. Has anyone used either of them? Also where exactly do most people clip the tuner on the bridge? I tried it in many locations without much luck.

Thank you,
    Jason

2. spoonido

spoonido

Sep 19, 2007
    Sierra Madre, California
    Endorsing Artist: Hagstrom, Mahalo
    I'm not an expert on tuners, but if the one I'm using has trouble picking up a note, I play an octave harmonic and tune to that.

3. I don't routinely use a tuner, and IF I do use one at all I only use it to tune the A harmonic on the D-string then tune everything else to that.

4. That tuner looks just like my old Meisel MCT-7L, which I like very much.

Three things I found out to get the best response:
    1. Use a bow and draw softly
    2. Mute the other strings with your left hand fingers while drawing
    3. For me, I clipped the tuner on the treble side wing. I don't know if this works as well on any bass, but on mine that was the sweet spot.

I got really good results most of the time.

I just recently bought the newest Meisel COM-90, which really does seem more sensitive to the E string notes, the response overall seems faster.

But none of the contact (transducer) type tuners are perfect, especially on the E string.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Another tuner thread? :eek:

Amazing what 30 seconds spent on a search will yield. Check here.

Yes, this belongs in Amps and Pickups.