1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuners

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dar512, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking for an inexpensive tuner that disregards ambient sound when it has input jacked in. I'm often in situations where I need to tune but can't get a good pitch because others are noodling or there is other ambient noise.

I have a Sabine that I like pretty well, except that even when I have the preamp plugged in to the tuner, it still listens on its built-in mic.

Suggestions?

2. Which Sabine do you have?

3. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'd have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it's the MT9000. It fills my needs except for this flaw.

4. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow. No one uses tuners? Or no one knows of one that does this?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I generally just tune to the piano.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1. Unless there is no piano on the hit then I either use a fork or tune my A off of a tuner then the rest by ear. I find that when I tune everything to a tuner I still feel out of tune.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I use one of these in orchestra. Works well in noisy environments.

8. Yep!!

True dat!:cool:

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    My favorite tuner is a Korg GA-30...going for about $15. It has a separate bass and guitar range setting and picks up on notes quickly.

I also use an Intellitouch at home sometimes but don't find it does as well as the Korg.

A Boss TU-2 is also useful if I'm running into an amp because it tunes quickly and can be muted during tuning.

10. I generally play in roots/traditional/Americana bands, where there's not usually a piano. When I eventually get good enough with walking to do some jazz gigs, I'll probably go with the piano. (Ed's book should help me get there eventually!) For a tuner, I've got a Korg CA-30. For arco, it works best with the internal mic. For pizz, especially in a noisy environment, I plug in a Korg clip-on mic, the CM100L. It's not back-lit, but it's by far the most accurate & responsive electronic tuner setup I've yet used.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I've got an older Korg GT-12. First I use the built-in mic to check the piano. If it's a tad sharp or flat (and consistently so in the low register), I can see by how much, and I can go the same amount up or down with my bass if I want to.

If it's an amplified gig and noisy like you said when I am ready to tune, I plug the cable from my pickup into the tuner, hold the tuner in my left hand, and cover the built-in mic with my thumb.

12. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I'm surprised, every tuner I've owned that had a mic and jack defeated the mic if you plugged into the jack. I like and often use a Korg CA-30, and that's how it functions. They are usually around $20.