1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I was using a Boss TU12 tuner up until last night when I left mine behind and now its gone. It was a good tuner but I had a problem with it in low light. So now I'm looking for some advice on a new one. Are there any tuners out there that work well in low light? If I buy a pedal type, which look like they have good large letters in low light, will it compromise my sound? I'd have it plugged in during a set. Bass to tuner. Tuner to amp. Extra wire in there. Any opinions?

thanks

steve

2. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    My Fender guitar/bass tuner works well even when it's dark because it has red/green lights for out of tune/in tune.
    Is that what you're looking for?

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    yeah. Basically looking for something that is easy to read in low light and that shows E, A, D, G, sharp and flat.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Korg Pitchblack is what I use. Large LED display of the note, arrows to show which way it's off, & green bar when it's on. Very visible in low/no light, even good in daylight. Also, supposedly "true bypass". I've been happy with it.

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I have the Korg Pitchblack's predecessor, the BT-10 and like it a lot. Easy to see, very accurate, will mute the signal while tuning and I do not notice any degradation in the sound.

6. I just ordered a pitchblack, Amazon has it right now for $67.50 which is a nice deal.

7. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    +1 to Pitchblack

8. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    looks good. Thanks

9. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    Well, that's my tuner! There's E, A, D, G, and B. It works for guitar and bass. If you're sharp, the light on one side glows red. If you're flat, the light on the other side glows red. If you're in tune, the middle light glows green. It's good and pretty cheap, I'd think.

10. The Korg, the Boss TU-2 and TU-3 all are good and all bright. There's a new TC PolyTune polyphonic tuner that checks all the strings at once...but any of the Boss or Korg tuners I named will tune as accurately as human ears are capable of hearing. I really like the muting while tuning of the TU-2 and TU-3.

11. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Got the Korge Pitchblack today. From Amazon for $67.50.

Thanks Stingray.

12. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Now a new instrument cable. Oh. Two. One into the Korg and one out to the amp.

13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I have a Boss TU-88. It's a nice practice piece, because it has a chromatic tuner, a metronome with tap tempo, a headphone amplifier, and an aux-input so that you can practice along to music.

If I didn't want all the extra jazz, I would just get a Korg Pitchblack.

14. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use the DT-10. I have three Korg Tuners and I have no reservations recommending them. In their price range they're the best, IMO. Korg handles a low B much better than the Boss, IME. I'd say get the Pitch Black.

KO

15. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    You should check out a tuner called Polytune by TC Electronic. It costs as much as your boss pedal but its way better. What makes it cool is that (as implied in the name) you can strum all your strings and it will show up in a grid whether your strings are flat/sharp/in tune as well as the normal one string at a time. Its also has a way faster response than the Boss..almost instantanious.

p.s. Its also true-bypass...unlike Boss

16. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    I know you bought already, but for future readers of the thread The Turbo Tuner is amazing too.

Pitchblack is cool to but i prefer the Turbo.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com

17. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ