1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning 5 String Bass UP!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mimsy89, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Hi, sorry if this has already been asked.

I'm new to the forum and did have a look but couldn't find anything

I have an Ibanez SR-505 with a 34" scale.

At the moment it is tuned to drop B (BF#BEG#) as I need to have the higher string for the band I play in. However, the strings still feel too tight and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on gauges or maybe even a set to go for.

Currently I have from high to low - .035 .050 .070 .090 & .130 (sometimes .135)

However, some new songs are in C# straight (C#F#BEG#) so I would need a bit of flexibility with the lowest string so I think I would stick to .130

I play with my fingers and am going for the High on Fire, Baroness, Kylesa type tone

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations on string gauges I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I think you should keep what you use now. If you tune up, the tension of the strings increases, which will also increase on the neck. So going too thick won't do your neck so good :p

3. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Thanks for that

Would a lighter set not benefit?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    As someone with no experience whatsoever in drop tuning, I can't help. But I still want to say WELCOME to TalkBass!

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Stick with the .130 for switching between the B and C# - your other gauges seem fine.

6. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Never tuned up before but loving it at the moment

7. I'll assume that's a round wound string if you like High on Fire (steel/nickle?). I find the truss rod on my 505 doesn't like to adjust evenly on high tension strings, but those gauges usually make relatively low tension. Can't really suggest a brand/line without knowing what your using currently.

8. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Yea they're round wound.

To be honest. They're nameless brand ordered from strings direct. Going to treat myself to some decent strings

On guitar I use Dean Markley or Ernie ball. On bass I have no idea string wise :/ problems of a converted guitarist

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    USe Ernie Balls on your bass guitar as well if you like them on your guitar :) Other brands that I would HIGHLY recommend : R. Cocco, Pyramid, Circle K, Elixer (very expensive but worth their price) DR and D'addario.. Basicly all the top brands :D

But, I would go for the Ernie Balls if I were you. They have a nice warm and punchy sound. I think you will like them on your bass :)

10. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Cool. Thank you very much

Ill check them out

If I was to go lighter gauge. Do you have a rough idea what size?

Also, is there an easy way to work out next size up/down etc?

Thanks again

11. I use the D'Addario web site charts to ballpark other manuf. tensions. A formula is also available. For example, a .50 XL will have similar tension to a .50 DR lowrider. You can go round core for a looser feel but I think they have less punch.

12. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    I ask this because I'm honestly curious, why would you tune UP?? Those notes are available to you in standard tuning.

13. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Cool thanks guys

I tune up as a lot of shapes we use are uncomfortable in a standard tuning

I also play a few solo pieces and use those extra high notes more than I do the lows

14. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Right on. Thanks. And good luck with on your string search.

15. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Thanks again everyone for the help!

Great forum

16. I put a 105, 80, 65, 45, 30 for my High C 5 string bass. Am am going to put mendomen set strings on my 6 string I think its a 125, 105, 85, 65, 45, 30

17. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Cool man. Is that standard tuning with high c?

18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Yes, then you have E A D G C

19. mimsy89

mimsy89

Oct 17, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Cool. Would you get a custom nut to match the thinner strings or just put a shim in them?

20. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Depth of nut slots shouldn't change with gauge - side slop will bite in to sustain a bit but you can get away with it long enough to know whether or not you like it. It'd be best to get a new one cut when you can.