1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning a Bass to A (NOT drop A)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by westicle, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Does anyone have experience tuning a 5 string bass to A but not drop A, so all strings are down a whole step?

I have a tour coming up in October that I need to sort a bass for and I'm looking into getting a Ray35. The guitar player is in drop A but I don't like playing basses in drop.

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I played with bands that tune down a half step and a .130 -.050" set feels a little loose. I'd recommend a set that's a little larger. Don't know whats available for what you like but I'd use at least a .135" set. Found this.

DR Strings Electric Bass Guitar Drop Down Tuning 5-String, .055 - .135, DDT5-55

mech

3. I'm borrowing a 5 string Aria Pro II at the moment and I put 135's on that. It's a little loose for my liking and I think the nut needs raising to cope. I've not modded a nut before though.

Also, the 135 only just fits in the bridge and the ball end sticks out a bit, won't go all the way in.

I haven't seen sets of bass strings over 135 though. Might have to buy some singles.

4. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    Did that for years with Traben Torrent 5-String and D'addarios 135 - 50s.
    It wasnt to loose for my taste but neither very tight.

dunno about rays though...

5. Circle K strings could do that, or you could talk to Jason at bassstringsonline.

6. Cool, never heard of either so will have a butcher's. Cheers.

7. WOW. Just looked at Circle K. I had NO IDEA you could get strings that big. Some of their sets are insane.

Just need to find them in the UK now....

8. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    They ship everywhere. I got a .180-.36 set. They sound amazing

9. Oh yeah. Shipping isn't as horrific as I thought it might be either.

Just need to buy a bass now :D

10. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    On all my 4 strings that I've converted to BEAD I've had to drill the hole in the bridge for the B string to 5/32" (.156") so the large wrap by the ball will fit through.

mech