1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning Key is To Tight...need help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by deathbassist, Jan 7, 2012.

1. so i got a new six string bass and I've been doing the setup on it. So i was shimming the neck and the G string came off of the bass. So I put it back on it and then I started to tune my bass and when I went to tune the G string I would turn and turn and it would stop turning and the tuning key would get really tight. So I take off the tuning key and I turn it while it's not even on the bass and it gets so tight you can't turn the tuning key anymore. If it's fixable I could probably fix it but I don't know so if anyone has any advice that would be cool.

Thanks.

2. Please get us a pic of that key, so we know what advice to give you.

If it has a screwed on key, the screw may be to tight.

Was it doing this before?

A slightly bent shaft will cause it to be tight, and if the gear is screwed down too tight it will turn stiff.

Need that pic.

3. sorry can't give you a pic im on dial up internet.

Ya it's a screwed on key.

and it was getting tight when i tuned it for the first time.

The shaft when i took it out kinda pokes out at the bottom and isn't inline with the bottom of the key. I think it's probably the shaft in the key.

Sorry I can't give you a picture man but if you have any advice im open to ideas.

Thanks

4. Maybe someone else can tell you, but I'd have to see it.

Attach a pic when you get the chance.