Tuning low B string

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr J, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Dr J

Dr J

Feb 22, 2004
    Hey everyone! Newbie here and to bass playing. I recently got a Brice 5 string fretless and tried to tune it to the standard BEADG. I had no problem tuning the higher strings 1 to 4 but the low B string, I could only bring down to a C before it starts flopping. In fact, it doesn't register in my tuner anymore after C, it just flops. Is it just bad strings or something else? Or is it just stupid me not knowing how to tune a 5 string? :D
    Before I bring it to a guitar shop and paying to get it set up, I'd like to find out whether I need to exchange it first. Like I said, I'm new to bass (I've played guitar before) and this is my first fretless, I like the sound very much and determined to learn it. But I wanted to be sure I'm learning on an instrument that is working properly. Thanks all! :hyper:

2. You tuner probably isn´t capable of tuning that low frequencies. I have the same problem with my tuner and this is what I do.

Simply put your finger on the fifth freton the B-string and tune to E.
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Or...if your bass is setup properly, try playing either the note itself, or the harmonic at the 12th fret.

This should allow the tuner to see the "higher" B note.
  4. Dr J

Dr J

Feb 22, 2004
    I'll give those suggestions a try. Thanks you guys!
  5. I bought a Brice V2 fretless five string nearly two weeks ago and was able to tune OK, including the B string (I use a Boss TU-2 tuner). In tune, the B was extremely floppy (nearly unplayable), but these were the original strings. I put on a set of D'Addario Chrome flats and the B plays great. In fact, with a good set of strings, I'm really impressed with the V2. I also have a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats to try on it, but just haven't done so yet.
  6. Dr J

Dr J

Feb 22, 2004
    My tuner (TU 12) doesn't seem to go lower than a C so I followed some of the suggestions above and was able to tune it, but you're right--it does become very floppy and quite unplayable. New strings are in order I guess.

Thanks for the tip and nice guitar btw, I didn't realize the V2 came in a 5 string so I got the HXB with the bubinga top. Everything looks and feels great except for some unevenness in the finish of the rosewood fingerboard. I may end up exchanging it.