1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning machines for Squier with straight shaft?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fun Size Nick, May 28, 2018.

1. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I'm interested in replacing the tuning machines on my Squier VM P, and wondered if anyone knows if there's a direct-fit replacement available with a straight shaft? The reason being that I would like to have the same kind of shaft on both of my basses so that it's easier to swap strings between them (the originals are fine other than that they taper towards the middle and don't have vertical space for the same number of wraps). The Hipshot HB7 fits, but it appears to have a tapered shaft, and I'm just a bit worried that it might not fit as many wraps around the post as I need to have for the straight shafts on my old jazz. I'd also be interested in the corresponding Hipshot Xtender but have reservations for the same reason. Is there a straight shaft replacement out there and/or am I worrying over nothing and there's enough space on the peg?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    So why not replace the straight shaft tuners on you Jazz with the newer Fender American Standard Highway-1, or the Fender Deluxe tuners both are a tapered post fluted tuner? I'm not aware of a drop in for the Squier other than the HB7

3. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Good idea! Sorry, I should have clarified - the 'old jazz' is a mid-'70s jazz, so those newer tuners aren't a direct fit for that bass.