1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Peg Keeps Breaking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Motioneso, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Motioneso

Motioneso

May 4, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just finished a gig. It went pretty well, aside from my freaking D Strong Tuning Peg Breaking... Again. This is the third time this year it has happened. I've replaced it both times before. I assumed the first time was a fluke (maybe got banged hard while traveling or something) but the second time I figured something was up. I made sure to string it properly and checked the setup to make sure there wasn't something crazy happening. So now in the middle of the set I notice my D string seems a little flat... I go to tune it and it won't tune up any, only down. When I try to tune it up the key turns but the post will not wind in the string (by that I mean it doesn't move at all.) Tuning down works just as it should, except maybe a little too good... I'm absolutely confused and frustrated... The last two times they this happened when I tried to tune them up the post eventually snapped free... I rarely play on the D string (I'm of the play higher on the neck school), so it's not like I'm wailing away on it!

Any ideas at all?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    wait, you replaced the whole thing twice and this is the third one? Like, a whole new tuning machine?

3. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    hi ,

do you have the screw on the backside of the tuning peg tight?? I'm assumming it's a fender style....

good luck

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The question doesn't mean much until you specify the brand and model of bass - and a pic of the tuners wouldn't hurt...especially the backside showing as much of the tuner mechanism as possible.

5. These are the Gotoh-style tuners on an Ibanez SR 305 DX, yes?

Can't absolutely say for sure, but it could well be that the securing nuts on the headstock face are too tight.

I had a really cantankerous tuner on my Aria SB-900 a while back - it was a pig to adjust, really stiff - & found that this was the cause.

Here's a photo of the tuner I replaced:

Tuner.

The arrow points to a gouged out portion of the securing thread, the locknut was pinching the threaded barrel against the tuning post which was starting to score. Sooner or later something would have sheared.

Take the strings off & slacken all the nuts off, then wind them up until they're finger tight & then give them a "nip" with a spanner - about a quarter turn should be plenty, just enough for them to hold.

Pete.

6. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Maybe I missed it but..

What kind of tuners are you using?
    Gotoh
    Gotoh Style
    Schaller
    Wilkinson
    Sperzel
    Hipshot
    Grover
    Inexpensive replacement with chrome plated plastic button
    Nylon/Plastic geared

Too many variables to come up with an answer.

7. Motioneso

Motioneso

May 4, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I was using the gotoh-style Ibanez tuner for this string, but I just recently replaced it with a Gotoh tuner from the Bass Emporium in Austin in time for my gig on Sunday. Hopefully this one stays solid for awhile. I think Deathblade's post may have nailed this one. I'll see if I can snap some pictures of the broken tuner (if its still around...)

Thanks again!