Tuning question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eupharies22, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Eupharies22

Eupharies22

Dec 26, 2007
    Ok my bass is setup to standard tuning, im joining a band now that plays in C , should i just buy heavier strings and tune it down to C or....
    Should i have the bass set up to C, but then that means i cant tune up to standard tuning due to the strings being far 2 tight and it may ruin the neck?
    Is it just as good to buy heavier strings and tune down, as oppose to having my bass setup to a specific tuning?

2. oh.my

oh.my

Jul 13, 2008
    California
    I'd say, just play it the way it is.

3. Brittain

Brittain

Jul 11, 2008
    Manchester(ish)
    I'd never have it set to a specific tuning, because then you're pigeon holed, use the heavier gauges, that way if you want you can get it back into standard without too much hassle.

4. Getting a 5 string would make the whole thing a non-issue. :D

5. Except a night of playing in C minor can be a bit much on the hands. There aren't many open notes that you can use and typically you hammer the first position and pull off to the first position all night.

6. 5 string and a capo? ;)

:D

7. Eupharies22

Eupharies22

Dec 26, 2007
    lol i would love a 5 string but, got a mia jazz atm which i love and cost a fair amount, wat kinda gauge would i be looking at?

8. Brittain

Brittain

Jul 11, 2008
    Manchester(ish)
    A big one.

Just find the heaviest you can really, I'm not an expert on gauges, I'm sure some people on here know all that kinda stuff though, just somethin meaty.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I tune drop C and use 45 65 85 115 on a set of DR lo riders. You can get away with tuning the A D and G a step flat, any farther I'm not sure.

10. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    a .110 or .115 should a C nicely, if you're playing in drop C (CGCF), .085, .065, and .045 will work. If you're tuning to C standard, (CFBbEb), something a little heavier probably.

Edit: Damn, beat me to it.

11. Eupharies22

Eupharies22

Dec 26, 2007
    ok cool, yeh id be in CGCF, is it only really the E string i need heavy on, not the ADG so much?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021