Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning??????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Aug 8, 2004.

1. i apologize if this may be in the wrong area. (1st off keep in mind that I have no clue, i just bought my 1st bass and amp and all))i bought this little fender Chromatic tuner im lost about tuning even with the little bit of instructions they give. can anyone point me in the right direction on how to tune properly? and if i should invest in a better tuner? id greatly appreciate this

2. anyone???

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you have a four string, you want to tune the lower (thicker) string to E, the next string to A, then D, then the thinest string to G.

4. do i have to tune for the sharps and flats too? or just the open strings?

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Just the open strings. I would advise taking a few lessons, if possible. They are a great help when just starting out.

6. i kno but its hard to find some even in the classifieds

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You should put your location in your profile and maybe somebody could recommend a good teacher.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

hmmm, where did my post go??

edit: nevermind, i posted in the tuning confusion thread which is exactly the same but in the strings forum.

9. :) That was my first thought too.