1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turlock Bluegrass Campout/Question about cart

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Riley R, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    So i made it to my first bluegrass campout this past weekend, man i had fun, learned a ton of stuff played some cool basses, and met some really nice people. I can't wait for the Fathers day Festival in Grass Valley, Getting my ticket today!!

The only bad thing was carrying my bass around to the different jams, but I saw some other bass players had this little cart thing that the bass sat in and they could wheel it around. Things like this:

http://www.fretwellbass.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=130

does anybody have a recomendation on these? I have done a little research and found a few, which one is the best one?

thanks guys!!

2. wdave

wdave

Apr 7, 2008
    Atlanta
  3. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Cool thanks Dave. I saw those, they look like exactly what I need. Do you have to unstrap it to play? Or do you leave it on when you play?

4. johnz

johnz

Apr 26, 2008
    Ashland, OR
    I have a bass buggie as well. You will have to take off the strap to play. More to the point, the bass buggie is made to slip over the bass when it's in its case. The part that holds the wheels is plastic with no padding - not something you'd want to put your bass on without protection.

The bass buggie has been working really well for me. It's almost unheard of to be able to park within a block of a gig in San Francisco and even the East Bay is often tight on parking. And, I feel more comfortable bagging the bass before I move it, no matter what.

For what it's worth, I think the product you linked to looks great for strolling around a festival and being able to whip out your bass at a moment's notice.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you ultimately decide on and even more interested to hear how you like it after getting some experience with it.

5. wdave

wdave

Apr 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    johnz,
    You can get the foam pad for the bass buggie. It covers the plastic cart. I think its an extra 10 bucks or so. Look at the pic of the guy holding the bass in the KC Strings link. The bungie cord that goes around the neck can go under the fingerboard instead of over top if there is no bag to deal with. Its not a problem leaving the buggie attached while you play. You should probably push the end pin in when strolling around though.
    Dave

6. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Ok the bass Buggie looked like exactly what I needed, so I just ordered one. It looks like it can be used with or without the bag, and you can leave it on and still play, boom insta bass!! :D

Thanks Guys I'll leave a breife review after I recieve it

7. johnz

johnz

Apr 26, 2008
    Ashland, OR
    wdave Thanks for the information! :)

8. I have both. They both work well. I think Fretwell's device gives a smoother "ride" but it's also a lot heavier. It's also a bit more convenient in a festival setting, once the bass is out of the bag, to roll up to a jam, grab the bass and play. But for travel outdoors, to and from a gig, say, the Buggie works great with the strap around the case. I look at one as my gig wheels and the other as my festival wheels.

9. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Thats a good idea, but I'm just hoping the buggie doesn't effect the tone to much if I leave it strapped on. i'll report back when it arrives.