Turning a Fretted Bass into a Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sayclean, Sep 28, 2020.

1. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    I used medium viscosity cyanoacrylate glue on my maple fingerboard neck. I watched a bunch of youtube videos, read the defretting thread above and the Dan Erlewine fretless conversion. Black plastic in the fret slots. Nothing was difficult, just time consuming and vent the area you are working in. I didn't use accellerator on the CA, but would put a layer down and come back the next day to add another layer. Wear gloves, safety goggles and a respirator when applying the stuff. Lots of sanding/wet sanding parallel to the string paths. The CA glue is clear and I brought it up to a pretty good polish using the micro-mesh pads from stewmac (available elsewhere). I really love how it sounds and plays.

2. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I second the above on using CA. CA glue is easier to work than epoxy(I have done a cpl of epoxy coats), feels better, less messy, and lasts very long. Easy to fill in case of a future gouge, too

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021