1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Turnstyle 100% Analog Guitar Modeling System for Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheWolf, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Saw the press release of HC today. I checked the site and all for $120 :confused: Of course the Sound Samples are "Coming Soon"... How can this work?

http://www.obbligatoinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128&Itemid=162

Seamlessly switch between a who's-who list of bass guitar tones ...all in ONE GUITAR. A click of the switch transforms your guitar from one famous model to the next. Turnstyle™ gives your electric bass the instant ability to sound like the most popular bass guitars and pickups in history including:
    Jazz Bass®, Precision Bass®, Acoustic Bass Guitar, Overdriven Bass

No Batteries. No Processors. No Trade-Offs
    Why haul around a room of bass guitars if you can have it all in the one you already have? Easy to operate and uses your existing conventional magnetic pickups. No Batteries and no need for a row of toggle switches to memorize and manipulate. This frees your fingers and mind up to focus on playing instead of playing switches.

[​IMG]

2. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I would guess it's some kind of active EQ with presets based on the waveforms of specific basses. I doubt it'll sound very good though, especially for only $120, and even if it does sound good I doubt it'll sound much like anything it's trying to emulate, especially acoustic bass. I'm also pretty curious as to how they plan to pull that off without processing or adding a piezo pickup.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    No batteries required,so It's not active.Probably a filtering system similar to the Varitone used by Gibson ,and BC Rich.

4. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Looks like a pickup switching system just like Dingwall has on some of his basses.

Some king if serial/parallel/in and out of phase/wathever you can think of switching.

Could be done with the 6 position rotary switch they talk about (and maybe some filtering with capacitors like 73jbass said to bring more versatility).

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'm guessing it's basically a varitone with black ice distortion installed.

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    no sample, no trust

7. Thanks, so it is possible not Voodoo, but might not be very good :>

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The middle knob becomes a 6 way switch, they say, it's 3 positions of Jazz sounds, a Precision setting, an 'acoustic' setting, and one 'drive bass' setting. Hrrrm. Doesn't seem like the world to me.

9. Guitarphred

Guitarphred

Apr 8, 2009
    Hey Folks, Turnstyle designer here. First off, thank you for your interest in our products! Completely agreed with Mikio "no sample, no trust". We are temorarially without a Jazz bass in-house to make recordings. In the meantime, we will be doing a press release on the new P-Bass model this week. The website was just updated to include sound bytes of the P-Bass model for you to sample in the meantime at P-Bass. Just scroll down and click on the "Sound" tab. If you check it out, let me know what you think. Please excuse the bass playing, I am a guitarist and not a bass player. We will update the recordings with a real bass player soon.

10. I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, so before you shoot me in the head, let me explain.

I just saw one of these for sale on ebay. never heard of them before, so I decided to visit the web site and have a look and guess what?

still no clips or videos... they even have a youtube page but no uploads...
    what's up with THAT??? :confused: