1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Jun 15, 2007.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey,

I'm tempted to take the carpet off my Eden cabinet and replace it with tweed but I'm afraid the tweed wont be any better than the carpet in terms of dust, cat fur and odores collecting and I'm afraid it may discolor in time or be stained easily.

would love to hear comments from anyone who has a tweed covered cab.

2. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
    How bout putting a laquer over the tweed. I know of a few cabinet makers that do it. Gives it a pretty cool look and it might keep it from absorbing odors, stains and what not.....but then again it might not. I haven't tried it personally, but i've wanted to.

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    thanks,
    I'm afraid the laquer will darken the tweed and ruin the look that appealed to me in the first place.

can you supply any links to pics of such laquer covered tweed cabs?

4. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
  5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I love the look of lacquered tweed. Fender has a Bassman reissue 4x10 combo (guitar amp) in lacquered tweed. It looks awesome.

[​IMG]

I wish more bass amps were available in tweed.

Unlacquered tweed should be better than carpet (for cat hair and dust) but it's subject to rips and stains, probably more so than Tolex. If that bothers you, seal it with urethane, or go with Tolex. Blonde tolex looks vintage, if that is your goal.

6. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
  7. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    tweed is much groovier. changes the whole vibe...are you sure you're ready?;)

the SWR was coated with amber lacquer

the phil jones was coated with clear lacquer (darkened a tiny bit but really enhances the finish

DSCN1683.jpg

DSCN1666.jpg

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Richnota,

what laquer did you use?
    how did you apply it?

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I lacquered a tweed case using 'honey' (the shade) tinted urethane. It came out too dark, and a little green. There is info on how to do it, on the web. It's likely not going to look as nice as a factory-lacquered cab (in my opinion). I had problems with the tweed absorbing the urethane differently in different areas (probably because the glue underneath was not totally even. So it looks a little patchy, too.

If you do it, I recommend non-tinted urethane. And since you're applying your own tweed, you can do a test patch on a scrap of tweed first. 5 minutes after beginning on my tweed case, i realized it wasn't going to be what I wanted, but you can't stop once you start. I did three coats to try to even it out. My case looks like a 'nicotine queen' that has been soaked by beer and cigarettes, even though the leather trim is brand new. If I had to do it over again, I would have left the case as-is. I don't care that much to feel bothered about the way it looks now, either. It was fine before I started messing with it. You're doing your own tweed so you'll have more control over the process, than I did.

There is info on the web about how to lacquer a tweed cabinet... search for it. Some people do use lacquer, but lacquer is a little fussier to prepare, I think (and you can't mix lacquer and urethane). But lacquer may give better results than urethane, I don't know.

If I were you, I'd consider tolex or don't lacquer the tweed. It's a lot of work to change the covering, and then it's a bit of a gamble that the tweed is not going to look how you expect, when you're done.

Just my opinion.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021