Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tweeter Prefs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jun 2, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Starting a project and was curious what you guys thought. I picked up an SWR Workingman 15 cab really cheap and I'm gonna use it in my "small portable rig" - which consists of my Avalon U5 and a power amp. I'm replacing the 15 with an 800 watt Eminence Omega and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on nice tweeters replacements.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Tweeters...??? Turned off or non-existant are my only recommendations :p

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Many including myself say that the tweeters in the Bergantino HT cabs are the best they have ever heard but I suspect that relies quite a bit on the crossover. Unfortunately I dont know what kind they are and you would have to modify the cab to fit one.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'll help ya. The workingman has the piezo LeSon tweeter. I don't blame you for wanting to change it out. With the SWR workingham :) cabs you need to make sure there is enough room to put a new tweeter in there, as the LeSon has a 2" cutout. Any other tweeter you pick is going to require a 3" cutout hole, with additional space needed for the bigger flange. THATS WHERE YOU CAN GET STOPPED with the SWR WM line.

You might consider the Eminence website and try the smallest supertweeter they carry, it might be smaller thann the typical Foster, Selenium type tweet.

Here's more pain in the ass, the SWR WM line has a small input panel on the back with a single resistor crossover. You have to make a bigger hole for a different panel usually if your going to upgrade the tweeter cuz you need a REAL cross-over now. As you can probably tell I've been down this road before. personally, I'd live with the stock tweet and enjoy the new driver. (Why an Omega? you can get alot of bang for your buck with the Delta Pro stamped frame line for way less $$ and less weight.)

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

B&C Italian I think.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    cool thanks!

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Awesome info. Here's the full story. I own a guitar store and one of my regulars came in an traded in the SWR WM. He only wanted fifty bucks and a set of strings - he really hated the cab - so I figured it'd be a good cab for some of my younger customers.

Over the past couple of days I've been looking at it sitting on the sales floor thinking "You know...that might make a decent cab for a smaller rig, but of course I'd have to change the speaker and tweeter." Then, yesterday afternoon I got a shipment from Eminence and by mistake they had thrown in an extra Omega 15. Which is why I chose that over the Delta stuff (which I like). The tweeter ended up being toast and about an hour ago, I found an exact replacement that we had laying around in the repair shop. I tried some of the nicer tweets we had in stock, but quickly discovered the size issue. I was willing to order up another Tweeter depending on what everyone here had to say, but the replacement we had sounds fine. That Omega took care of a lot of the issues I had with the cab.

So, it just kind of happened. Getting the cab cheap, on top of getting that mis-shipped Omega - I figured the bass Gods wanted me to keep it :)

All in all, the new little rig sounds awesome. I'm pleasantly shocked. I've got my U5 (I don't think I could live without this thing) running into a small power amp and then into the cab. It looks pretty cool too :cool: