Two basses on Disco Inferno?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rockdoc11, Oct 24, 2018.

1. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    So I'm bouncing around on YouTube, and come across the old Saturday Night Fever tune Disco Inferno. I've been playing some disco in my band, and it usually goes well.

So I'm watching the video, and am surprised to see two guys each playing bass. there's a guy on the far left playing a Jazz, and a guy on the right behind the guitarist playing a P bass.

Anybody have any idea WHY this would be? I find it very strange.

Thanks.

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm so sorry, but I can't talk about this song without telling this story:

It's about '77 or '78. I'm at a Wisconsin ski resort called Telemark with my friend Mark. We are shy, skinny 14 or 15 year olds, and there is an all-ages dance in the nightclub. I hated disco with a passion. We are basically ogling two girls around our age, who we consider the most attractive girls we have ever seen in our lives. We followed them around for what seemed like hours, staring, and thinking of ourselves as the two biggest pervs who ever lived. WAAAY too shy to talk to these girls. We see they are with an older girlfriend, possibly a sister, who is talking to them, and suddenly she is looking at us.

She strides confidently over to us, and we assume it's to tell us to stop perving out on these girls.

"You see those girls over there?" she says, indicating the girls of our dreams.

"Yeah. Uh, huh," we stammer nervously, sure the next thing that happens involves police.

"They want to dance with you."

A wave of beautiful unreality washes over us, and we start "dancing" with these beauties. My "dance" involves myself and the blonde standing in the middle of the dance floor, making out like we are trying to eat each other's face.

I'll never forget the song that was playing, because up until that moment it was one of my most hated songs.

Afterwards, it was like a religious experience.

You guessed it. Disco Inferno.

rockdoc11, JRA, two fingers and 4 others like this.
  3. After Millowinman’s post,

I got nothing....

JimK and BassAndReeds like this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

Clark Dark likes this.
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    No real mystery, Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff (R.I.P) used the Tramps as the backing band for most if not all of the groups involved with "The Sound Of Philadelphia" and they both were on set so they all got paid. Kenny and Leon were kinda tight.

rockdoc11 likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

dropped in to check out the topic. but mellowinman 's post made the whole thing worthwhile! i could care less why there are two bassists on the tune!

yay mellow! :laugh: :thumbsup:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021