Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two bow case

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Chasarms, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am curious if any of you guys carry two bows and if you use one a double bow case?

I am interested in hearing which cases you may use and what you like and dislike about them.

My teacher uses the Kolstein one, which is nice, but it is a little thick to fit in the bow pocket of my bass bag. It may be the best alternative anyway.

Thanks.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have a Bobelock double bow case. it will not fit in my bag either but that doesn't bother me.

3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I have the Kolstein one and like it. I don't think any of them, If they have enough padding, will be small enough to go in the pocket.

4. I have a double bow (for French Bows) case that I bought from Lemur's and I am able to just barely fit it into the bow pocket of my bass case. It doesn't fit all the way down and sticks out a bit at the top, but it works for me. The only thing I don't like about this case is that the levers that hold the bows in place inside the case will move during transport and allow the bows to move around a bit. I am considering modifying the case by putting in some sort of elastic strap to hold the bows in place.
    Regards,
    Tom

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I was afraid of that. Makes sense I guess. As long as I have a shoulder strap, I guess I'll be OK. I don't always take both bows anyhow. I have a little box case for just one that fits in the bass pocket very nicely.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Mine has a shoulder strap and is solid as a rock. The only thing i do not like is the lack of a strap to hold the bows in their respective pockets.

7. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    I put a small towel in the case between the bows to keep them from knocking together.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    mine has a velvet covered wall that keeps the bows from getting to cozy with each other.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ordered the Kolstein from Quinn. It was cheaper there than Kolstein. (That seems odd) Anyway, I know it'll be nice and I know the bows stay put in it.

Concord, the company that pushes Christopher basses, makes a nice one with a clever design to deal with French or German frog. It was a little more pricey though.

10. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    The strap IS nice, but there were times I've almost forgotten the case, being separate from the bass. If I were to get a one bow case, the one Shank's has is nice.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Got the Kolstein case yesterday. It's pretty nice. My only beef is the way the bows fit into the case.

The case has a pocket that the tip is to slide into, a rest for the stick behind the frog and then a leather strap that snaps over the stick to prevent it from moving.

It works perfectly for my Meinel bow, but my Tom Owen bow has a 22mm head, so the bow is very difficult to get into that pocket and I fear it may be forcing the bow to rest in the case in a stressed way.

I might have part with the case, as I surely will not part with the Owen.

12. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    I carry 8 different bows around with me a lot of the time, I had a case built by a friend which seems to do the trick.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got my bass case off eBay, $25, holds one bow snugly in the pocket of my DB case. Glued together a few times because it's gotta be made of Balsa or something else that's pretty soft, but it works, and keeps my bow quite safe.

14. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    My kolstein fits in my Moradian case without any problem.

15. I've often though about getting a double case...

For years I've just put my main bow under my strings and carry the other in the bow case and pocket. Neither my bass or bow seem to receive any noticeable wear from the 'under string' storage method - I've been doing that for 10-15 years with no problems.

16. It's easy to cut some foam to hold the tip and the grip in place.

17. I don't ever bring more than one bow. If anything ever happened to my Lipkins bow, even if I had a spare, I'd go home and kill myself.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I don't ever use the second bow either, but when you have the reputation of being a pretentious a$$, you do what you can to live up to expectations. :)

19. i actually have a thickly padded case that i picked up that came with a double bow case that fits in the bow pocket. i am at a loss for the brand name right now, but it works well for me.

20. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I recently bought a double bow case, sounds like the one the DZ uses - rich red velvet on the inside, with a 'flap' that seperates the bows. it's the one the the contrabass shoppe (u.k.) recommend, so take a look if you like. the one complaint I have is that the bow becomes wider at one end becasue it is designed to take either 2 french or 2 german bows (or combination for the weirdos that play with either!), which means about two inches stick out of my mooradian delux case, and being a french bow player (i have not been tempted by the dark side) i'd much prefer a 'straight' rectangle shape. handy sized pocket on the case though, strong shoulder strap and handles, plenty padding, looks great, and the difference in size and price between the single and double case isn't too big. There is plenty of extra room in the cases for those players with long bows, but means the shorter bows can move around a little. I put some medium-hard sponge to fill the gap and it did the job.