1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

two cabs ohm questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hwegs7, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Hwegs7

Hwegs7

Mar 31, 2015
    hello everyone I have a 4 ohm bass head with one output that runs into a homemade 4 ohm cabinet. I need to know my options for a second cab (ohms, series/parallel, etc.) I would like to try and do two or four 12" or 10" speakers in this second cab. thanks for any help!

2. You have no options for expansion - Sorry.

3. You are at the maximum (min #) load. If you add a second cab it would have to hooked up with a special made speaker cable and you will have a power reduction from the amp head (assuming SS head).

4. Hwegs7

Hwegs7

Mar 31, 2015
    what if I had another four ohm cab wired in series? that would be an 8 ohm cabinet load altogether therefore would be possible, correct? or am I misunderstanding this?

5. Two 8 ohm cabs in series (note special built cable needed) will be an 8 ohm load.

6. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Replace your four ohm cab with 2 8 ohm cabs

rodl2005 and yakmastermax like this.
  7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    These two guys are right 99.9% of the time, so listen to what they are telling you...

In your present situation, you have ZERO expansion options, my man. Sorry.

These are, most likely, your only options; Like sprag said, get rid of the 4 ohm cab and replace it with two 8 ohm cabs. Or, if you insist on keeping the cab you have, ditch the head and get a 2 ohm capable one. Even if you go with B-strings super, high-tech, digital, custom-wound, now-with-bold-pinstripes cable idea, you STILL need two 8 ohm cabs...

Good luck, friend! :thumbsup:

8. With the special series cable two 8 ohm cabs would be a 16 ohm load. Two 4 ohm a 8 ohm load.

9. If your amp has plenty of power spare, then the series cable will work fine. The biggest snag is that the actual result is unpredictable, however, if you already have the other cab, it's a cheap experiment. If you are thinking of buying a new cab, then it could be an expensive mistake. Electrically, it's not an issue to run in series. The problem is that it always seems to make one cab louder than the other. One will sound out, and overshadow the other. When I tried it for an experiment, with a big 18" in one and my 4x10" in the other, all I could here was the 4x10 cab. The 18" driver may as well have not been there. On it's own it takes a lot of power to get it going, and the other cab is much more able to convert power into volume.

10. correct.

The second cab should be the same as the first.

Connecting odd cabs in series gives very unpredictable results and can be harmful to amps.

11. Hwegs7

Hwegs7

Mar 31, 2015
    thanl you to everyone for the answers! saved me a couple bucks haha.

12. for my part I'm glad to have been of help. :D

13. Hwegs7

Hwegs7

Mar 31, 2015
    it is a homemade cab. but there is no way to add speakers or anything? without a new head.

14. Depends on what it is. In exceptional circumstances it could be a very good plan to add an identical series cab. But most of the time the first response would be correct.