1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two tones from one string!!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by emdsd, Apr 8, 2010.

1. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music!

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    Just changed strings on my '95 MIA Jazz V - same brand, same gauge - the G string, and only the G string, sounds as though its making two tones...almost like a chorus effect. None of the other strings are affected. Bad string? or something else?? I'ts not easy for me to just get another set of strings, so I though I'd see if anyone had other ideas!!? before I spent $$ Any help is appreciated :help:

2. Hi.

A "wolf-tone" I assume.

The first thing I check in cases like that is a twist in the string.

A bad string comes as a close second.

Regards
    Sam

3. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    A wolf tone only occurs on one pitch. If it's on all pitches, it's a bad string.

Sorry, man, it happens sometimes. If it's just the one string, you can always just buy a single G.

4. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music!

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    The "wolf" tone does happen at every position on fretboard. I figured it was probably the string. Thanks for the responses guys! TBers Rock!!