1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U2 With or Without You

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by DeanT, Feb 27, 2008.

1. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I know this is probably the easiest song in the world to play, but I'm trying to figure what fingering Adam Clayton uses. I haven't been able to find a video that shows it clearly enough. Most of the TABs are all over the fingerboard and that's not how AC plays it, unless he's able to slide from the 10th fret to the 5th without making any noise whatsoever (if that's the case he's a better bass player than I thought).

Anyone know the chords used (all three of them!).

Thanks.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    IIRC, I read that it was -
    G--------------------------------
    D--4-4-4-4--5-5-5-5-------------
    A---------------------6-6-6-6----
    E--------------------------------

3. The 3 chords are: D A B G ;)

I don't know about the rest, but you can hear a bit of a slide up to the D sometimes. That suggests he's going up to the 10th on E, instead of using another string.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah, I wasn't too sure about mine, its been a long ass time since I read it.

5. Personally, I always thought it sounded best, and easiest to play, just sliding on the E string. Of course, you can use the notes on the A-string if you prefer.

There's also one interlude in the song, towards the end, where he stays on the D for a few measures...otherwise it's just the same chord progression, over and over.

6. DeanT

Thanks PM. DABG sounds about right.

Most of the TABs I've seen go something like: 10th fret E string to the 5th fret A string to the 7th fret E string to the 3rd fret A string (or something similarly all over the place).

I like to play in position as much as possible -- economy of movement and all that. Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I prefer to move my left hand as little as possible.

7. Dean, you can do that too, of course. Use the fifth fret on the A string, go down to the 5th fret E string, jump to the 2nd fret on the A string, and then down to the 3rd fret on the E string. You can stay in one position the whole time.

You probably already figured that all out, just wanted to clarify for anyone else.

8. DeanT

Yeah. I got that from the DABG chords. But thanks for spelling it out, I'm sure a bunch of forumites are trying it out right now.