1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uhhh...so we have a gospel gig?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My quintet got a call for a gig on the May "2-4" holiday weekend...only it's for a gospel fundraiser. Whaaaat?

Okay, we don't usually play gospel. Actually, I've never played it in my LIFE. I do, however, occasionally enjoy listening to it. Our plan was to pick a few tunes, transcribe 'em, maybe jazz up a few of the chords/cadences and do some arrangements. Only...what tunes? We're already going to be doing Wade in the Water and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, so for this gig we'll need about 6 more tunes that we can "try out" and narrow it down to a group of 5 or 6 that we can do well.

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Whenever a client asks me for music outside of my experience I usually ask them to clarify what they are expecting to be sure we are on the same page. That includes song titles or any other expectations they may have.

Be sure they want "gospel" music. They may want what you to do what you normally do instead of aping gospel tunes, you never know until you ask.

Having said all that. Have fun. Learn some tunes they are requesting and enjoy them. That is some great vibe to get inside of.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My band does a lot of gospel gigs (bluegrass is traditionally heavy on gospel), and I gotta tell you....you won't find a more appreciative or attentive audience.

5. You could try "Hymn to Freedom" from Oscar Peterson's Night Train album.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn library offers a lot of spiritual music. The older folks in the crowd may know some of the stuff and an announcement will help along those that don't.