UK Bass Day Clinics This Saturday?!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Is anyone else going to this thing at the Academy Of Music in Guildford on Saturday? They have <b>Gary Willis</b> Janek Gwizdala and Nick Fyffe (Jamiroquai) all doing clinics - I think it's too late to buy tickets but it should be pretty wicked - I just wondered if anyone else from the UK had even heard of it? Let me know - I'm going to see Bill Bailey in the evening as well - so Saturday is going to be a lot of fun... :bassist:
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Is this the event that was reviewed in Bass Guitar Magazine last year? Wish I had known about that one - would have loved to caught Colin Hodgkinson's clinic.

Not sure that I have seen any publicity for this year's event. :mad:
  3. Yes - it's the same thing - but I don't think Colin is there this year - the publicity has been virtually non-existent - I only found out Gary Willis was on because I called Bass Guitar Magazine - even the Academy of Music doesn't have anything about it on their website - and the staff there that I've spoken to don't really know much either - pretty crap all round really. I was told about it initially by Janek Gwizdala who's also playing there - it's weird they haven't really advertised it properly.

PS Your CD is in the post...
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Welll - I only need one word of explanation :

GUILDFORD!!! :spit:

It's hardly the centre of the musical world - or any kind of world!! ;)
  5. Oh Bruce - you're so cynical...but you're right! ;)

That's what get's me about this - why the f*** have something this good in the middle of nowhere - anyone heard of London? Obviously not

Hope you're well Bruce

6. With all due respect .............. Guildford is hardly in the middle of nowhere !

Living close by I might be biased but I find it an infinitely preferable place to be compared to say ......... Brighton or London :spit:
  7. no worries Nick - It's probably a lot nicer than rat-infested London...without a doubt :) Are you going to this bass thing..? Besides it was Bruce that started the 'Guildford's in the middle of nowhere' stuff... :eyebrow:
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't think Guildford's that bad - it's got reasonable transport connections and it's even vaguely possible there might be some parking at the venue. It's just a shame they didn't advertise it a bit more. On the other hand, we'll have to wait until after the event to find out if it was empty or full - if it was operating near capacity maybe they didn't need to advertise any more.

9. I just got the pack through today and Julian Crampton from Icognito is doing a spot as well, plus the others - Steve Lawson is going to be on the panel of experts too - should be really good - I think they only have 100 places so maybe next year if this one goes well then they might make it bigger - I'll do a little report for the site afterwards so you'll all be a little wiser...have a good weekend y'all.

10. Bruce Lindfield

No - it's worse than that !!

Middle-aged suburbia!! ;)
  11. Bruce Lindfield

PS. How many Nicks do we have now - I'm getting confused!! ;)
  12. Hey munki no worries and I'm soooooooo used to Bruce !!

No I'm not going I didn't know about it.
    It really p*sses me off when you (not you personally !) have these events and they aren't publicised, no wonder some people just give up. I personally think ACM isn't what it was at the start. I was taking lessons there with Stuart Bradley but after he left the bass department IMO it just went down hill. I would have gone just for Willis. Shame.
    I hope you have a good day though.
  13. Just got in from a REALLY good day at the ACM - just listening back to the Willis set - he was astomishing - never seen someone with such control (Wooten and Caron maybe) over the bass as Willis - truly mesmerising - I'll do a little summation tomorrow when I'm not drinking! ;)
  14. I'd known about it for quite a while from looking at ACM's site when filling out application forms, etc., and there was stuff about it in MusicLive (not to mention Bass Guitar Magazine).

Wanted to go, but no transport...
  15. I was there on Saturday and I was there for last years event as well.

I think the last one was a little better – mainly because you gad a chance to take your bass, break into small groups and get tuition and even a chance to play. And yes, Hodgkinson was stunning.

It wasn’t quite the same this year – no need for basses for a start however, the clinicians were fantastic Janek Gwizdal is an astounding player and he was happy to talk about his session work in New York, how the biggest cheques came for the biggest stars who played the biggest venues – but the whole event was mimed so he never actually played anything. Also how the best gigs were the late night Jazz gigs where pay was $50 + tips.

Julian Crampton from Icognito was pretty astounding as well – as for Willis I had to get to Gatwick to get the flight home so I missed half his set – annoying because the flight in was 70 mins late so I missed the fist 15 mins of Janek as well.

Nick Fife was interesting as ever. No longer playing with Jamiroquai he was still happy to talking about playing stadiums, the importance of a good drummer and how keeping a good grove is more important than virtuoso playing. (because there was no drum machine Janek got the job of human beat box which was very funny. Nick was also happy to play requests and played a few of the more famous Jamiroquai bass lines.

The whole events are quite informal and because the numbers are so low (there couldn't have been many more than 50-60 people) and you have a lot of opportunity to sit and chat with the clinicians over coffee.

I do agree about the advertising and it does feel like its a event for Bass Guitar magazine subscribers only. As for the location of ACM in Guildford, I suppose all the equipment is there, its good advertising for the school, there is admin support and its set up for just kind of thing. Its a dreadfull place to find something eat though

All in all well worth it and Ill be there again next year if possible.