Unaccompanied Jazz Double Bass Solo Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jmmcc, May 18, 2018.

1. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Looking for recordings of unaccompanied Jazz Double Bass Solo recordings but with more or a stronger focus on standard repertoire like Dave Holland's Ones All?

I know Brian Bromberg also have some sporadic tracks on the Wood Albums

I know there are more Holland's solo works, Miroslav Vitous, Eberhard Weber, Dominic Duval et all., but these, although great, are more contemporary and not really what I'm looking for right now.

Hope anyone can help?

Clovis Jazz likes this.
  2. There is a Red Mitchell LP with one side of solo bass.

Red Mitchell - Home Suite...
    As far as totally solo jazz bass with changes One's All is probably it and probably the best. There is a Gary Peacock LP with overdubs. There is a Peter Ind solo LP with overdubs and tape speed experiments - still pretty jazzy.

There is a really rough Ron Carter LP, All Alone that is pretty unlistenable with just gross DI sound.
    There is a very rare Japanese Reggie Workman solo LP I've never been able to hear.
    The closest I can think of is Anders Jormin's Alone, there may be others:
    Anders Jormin - Alone

knirirr, dhm, geoffbassist and 8 others like this.
  3. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    One of my favorite things to do on bass is to play unaccompanied jazz standards. It’s very satisfying as a player, and it has a lot of musical merit (as Dave Holland has shown). I wonder why more bassists haven’t done this.

M0ses, Low Crow and Winoman like this.
  4. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Thanks Damon, truly appreciated.
    I've been trying to find them, both Paul Bley & Gary Peacock albums Partners and Mindset have some nice solo bass tracks too.
    Ron Carter's record do have that DI sound but the music is lovely, meanwhile the Reggie Workman's solo album tracks can be found here:

Struggling to find the Peter Ind one

Winoman, Jborg and Carl Hillman like this.
  5. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Agree, was expecting to find more, or maybe these works just aren't visible enough, I'll keep digging..

6. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    Here’s Holland’s solo album.

Clovis Jazz, dhm, Winoman and 3 others like this.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This is a nice solo disc from an old friend and great player from Poland:

Bassville

Winoman and jmmcc like this.
  8. Winoman, jmmcc and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It doesn't surprise me that most solo bass albums don't have standards, the players who record them aren't the type to play standards.

Low Crow and jmmcc like this.
  10. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Am I Bothering You? - Michael Formanek

dhm, RRR and jmmcc like this.
  11. A great one, but probably too avant garde for what the OP is looking for.

Silevesq and jmmcc like this.
  12. FLORINS

FLORINS Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
    Boris Kozlov put out a record called “Double Standard.” I don’t know how easy it is to find but I’m sure he’d be happy to help you out if you shoot him an email.

dhm and jmmcc like this.
  13. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Thanks Chris, did a little research and apparently Jacek Niedziela also released a Bassville 2, can't find that one available to buy or stream, I've just sent him an email.
    BTW, love your YouTube channel, really great stuff, I've shared a link to it on my website

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  14. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Thanks, I'll give it a listen

15. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Nevertheless, It's the best title for a solo Double Bass album ever. IMHO, of course..

Silevesq likes this.
  16. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    I can't find it anywhere, I'll try to get in touch with him, thanks for pointing it out

17. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Cool. Jacek is a super nice guy, and a fine player. He also has a transcription book of that album available if memory serves.

Thanks! I’ve taken a little break this year to complete the tenure process, but have some new stuff coming out this summer, including some new collaborations. :)

jmmcc likes this.
  19. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I’ve only been to NYC a couple times. And the one time I went to MOMA, RC was playing solo in the main hall. It was a day of feasts. For the eyes and ears!

20. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    A superb solo.

dhm, jmmcc and Winoman like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021