1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unattainable Gas! What To do???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nightsblood, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Today, I visited Washington Music Center (Chuck Levins) to the locals and I came across a bass I had only heard of but never actually seen. It was a five string Ken Smith. Not the KSD mind you , the real deal. I figured since I was there, Id put it through its paces just so I could say, Ive played one.

One word.....WOW! That thing played like a dream, pure butter. And sounded as smooth as they come. I played a few Yamahas and Cirrus' afterwards, basses I actually like playing,and they didnt seem as nice anymore.

Now Ive contracted gas for a bass that cost close to four thousand dollars!!! I cant get that outta the wife. What am I supposed to do with this gas?

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Go drink until you can't see, forget about today, and never-ever.... EVER, play a $4000 bass again. Oh, and stay off Talk Bass for a few days;)

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    It's sad. As far as I know, there is no cure.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just remember all of the smokin' bassists who don't play $4,000 basses.
    Off topic: I recently let go of my MTD Kingston to a young bassist from Chicago named Shawn Calloway. He sounded so good on my bass, I let it go extra cheap because that young rascal is going to be somebody big on that bass some day, and I am happy to help him along the way.:) I know I can't touch Shawn with a Fodera, Ritter, and a Sadowsky put together, so I actually am even more content with my humble Fender.:D

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Sell all your current basses and buy it.

You only live once.

6. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well, first you have to ignore the choice of woods in the Smith. He stockpiles nice materials and isn't afraid to use them. You can't get fixated on his sexy hardwoods or you are going to spend the money.

You can go roughly halfway and buy a used Smith. Check the Bass Central used gear page for starters. Those guys are generally the high end of the used gear pricing spectrum.

One good way to get rid of GAS is to take a decent basic serviceable bass and optimize it. Not just upgrade pickups, bridge, etc. But go over it from top to bottom. Especially addressing the neck and the playability.

There's a certain satisfaction to taking a bass that looks ordinary to the naked eye and transforming it into a killer sounding, great player.

Actually, optimizing used basses from the classifieds is how Lakland got started, I think. Doing slick refrets on EBMM's, etc.

Lucky for me, I've never craved having a Smith. And in general, for me to spend 4K on a bass, I'd have to feel like I was a classy enough player to justify spending that kind of money. I have yet to feel that good about my playing. Matt Garrison, I can rationalize him having a few Foderas in the rack at his place.

Plus, I'm not going to quit playing my beloved old standbys if I come home one day with some ranch mink boutique bass under my arm. So that means that the fancy new show ho is going to gather some dust here and there, now and then.

So back to justifying the money - would I spend big bucks on something that's going to just sit around looking good for intermittent periods of time? Not at this point in my life. If I want to be looking at some nice wood, I'll just go build something useful with drawers that I can keep stuff in.

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I don't remember too well but wasn't it the Peavy Cirrus that someone had recorded on Youtube and people would say that is the Ken Smith tone, thought it was a Ken Smith until someone showed the movie and he was playing a Cirrus.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's true. If the tone is the main thing, a Cirrus is a great substitute. Some people, however, have to have the real thing.

9. Yeah guys, Im not trying to justify the price of my gas or even a way to quench my gas by getting this bass. (quench my gas sounds strange?) I know this bass is way outta reach and I cant justify that price either. But I was going by the feel and the sound of the instrument combined. It was just "right" for me. You know what I mean when its just right. Im by no means a price hound, Ive got too many SX basses to claim that. The Smith was just super nice. Thats all. The gas is much easier to deal with when you pick up a Squire has that feel for $200 than the Smith for $4000. I should not have picked up the Smith. My Bad!

Nice bass....and I want it.....but wont ever have it. That Sux! Maybe I'll get a nice Squier.