Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Under 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NNbassest, Apr 19, 2005.

1. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    hey yall,
    nother thread. what would you recomend for a head to poewr a 212 avatar rated at 1000 watts rms. i raelly only have around 400 bucks as its a graduation gift from the family and its all we can afford so i was wondering what head i coul duse to power my cab for playing live punk(nofx type). I have a 75 Fender P and i put a J pickup under the bridge and they are active electronics. Suggestions please?

thanks,
    JJ
    ps also i am a big supporter of buying GOOD used equipemnt :bassist:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I wouldn't worry about matching the 1k watts of your cab...you're not gonna find much in that price range that can push that power under 4 or 8 ohm loads...I'd look at stuff in the 500w range. Look used. Try whatever you can. If you can wait a bit and save up some more, you might be able to swing one of the new Kustom heads...eep lots power for around $500.

:(

You routed a REAL 75 P?!?!?

:scowl:

3. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks, ill try that. i had no intension of matching my 1000 watts in the first place. i do want to add onto it with a 115 or somthing alike in the future. but ill check out Kustom.

4. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    the Kustom aint gonna go...too far out of my range. 400 is pushing it for what i can do.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You could try to find a used Trace V4; I've been offered one for about $420. 220 tube watts, about as loud as 840 SS watts.

6. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    come to think of it! there is a huge trace rig for sale at Jennings, out local store and iknow the dude and said he'd sell me the WHOLE rig for 600...hmmm...

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Trace would be an awesome choice! Personally, I don't like the cabs but some people love em.