1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Undersized bodies: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RoboChrist, Jan 1, 2012.

1. I actually prefer a smaller bodied bass

86 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. It doesn't matter to me as much as other features do (tone, feel, electronics, etc.)

241 vote(s)
    63.3%
  3. The size of a body is a big deciding factor when I'm buying a new bass

54 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    What's your opinion on undersized bass bodies? Do you think it's a way for bass makers to save money on materials? Like them? Dislike them?

Just thought I'd post a divisive thread/poll to get the new year started properly. :oops:

2. Undersized compared to what? If you mean Fender style basses i.e. Sadowsky, I'm all for it. Especially jazz basses.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

To me a Spector is small and a TBird is big.

I have no preference, but doubt I would gig a Steinberger.

4. I feel like body size has a much bigger significance to myself than to most other people, especially looking at the poll results so far. Being such a big guy, I find that a small-bodied bass either makes the instrument look like a toy in my hands or makes me look like a freak of nature. This usually *one* of the reasons I hesitate to buy a bass online.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Whats more important ois the ergonomics of the body design. Some small body aka dinky jackson etc styles can be great while some small body basses like steinies can be horrible (imo) ergonomics. Never been much a fan of fenders so wont comment on them. Ibanex Sr basses are more compact them most and can be great fit. However theyre bridge is like some also overly close to body end. Big body bass like BC Rich Beast can be quite comfy overlall but a royal pain for transporting in case with small car. So again its more about other aspects of the bass. My warlock bass and other warlock basses Ive owned have been among best fit to body and the rear cutout is wonderful for leg rest area. Yet bigger body then most.

6. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I find thee same thing...and I tend to gravitate towards large bodied, long scale basses

7. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    i dont like small bodied basses ala warwicks.. i think they look a little silly and insignificant.. just my opinion.. i like the smaller bodied jazz style ala Sadowsky.. very very comfortable.. cant see that any maker saves much money on it mind.. give me a lightweight original jazz style body anyday..

i had a Sei Jazz 5 that was pretty much the same size as an original Fender design, but the body was thinner and the heel was non existent.. was a dream to hold..

8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The smaller (dubbed "dinky" by Warmoth, tho I don't know if they were the first to do so for a Jazz body) Jazz bodies aren't made by the budget parts manufacturers for the most part. You see one, it's almost always a reputable miller/router of bass and guitar bodies (Warmoth, USACG and maybe a couple of others make them for sale separately. I think Hosono did, but don't know if they're still in the biz). If I see a bass with a standard-size Jazz body, the body doesn't give me any clues whatsoever.

Weight and ergonomics don't enter into the picture here- I can buy a light standard-size body, but the visual is enough to make me go with a Dinky of the same weight.

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    good things can come in small packages

skf5.

10. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    It's totally subjective, as choosing a bass would be....whatever you consider to be undersized.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I like light basses, as long as they balance well. If that means smaller body, cool.

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't really care. I like basses of all shapes and sizes.

13. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I like bodies as long as the neck is in some way comparable to the size (eg no extra long scale, mustang body). I have an ESP B-254, and I find the body to be a tad bit small. But then again, I usually judge them how they look on me by doing my power squat position in front of the mirror :bag:

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Size matters.
    You may SAY it doesn't matter, and it's all in how you play it, but...
    Size Matters!

15. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Smaller - good: My Warmoth Dinky Jazz bass, Lakland DJ bass, anything that maintains balance and feel so that switching instruments during a set does not cause muscle memory loss.
    Smaller - bad: Steinberbergers, any bass that I have to re-think where hand position needs to be.

Not even talking about scale - save that for another thread.

16. Hi.

I prefer big'uns.

Talking about instruments...

Regards
    Sam

17. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Ever since I saw Angus Young play what appeared to be a 10 foot long SG, I've liked bigger bodies better.

18. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Great question.

Big Bootie on my Bass Bodies for me

I LOVED my Lakland DJ 4, except, when I played it. with the smaller body, I needed to change my wrist position, which became awkward. Sounds dorky, and hey, I wanted to love it. the Neck and Tone was like nothing I've ever had...but it needed a few donuts.

19. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    What were you playing before? The strap button locations (relative to the neck placement) aren't significantly different from a more conventional J-style body.

20. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I guess my preferences are on the smaller side. Not sure. What is "big" and what is "small"? Obviously a Guild Starfire would be a big bodied bass and a Steinberger would be a small bodied bass, but what about the stuff in between?

I play a Rickenbacker and also a Peavey. Are those big? Or are those small?