Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underwood feedback

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Irie01, May 11, 2005.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I have noticed often that when I play my bass through an amp I get a lot of nasty feedback. I am using an underwood pickup and to keep the pickup ends in place I wedge a piece of a sax reed between the bridge wood and pickup. Why might this problem be happening and how can I solve it?Thanks for your help.

2. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    are you using a preamp? if so, does it have a phase switch? try flipping the phase switch and se of that helps. if you don't have a preamp try getting one-it fills out the sound of the underwood. one thing i have done in the past is to let the bass feedback to see what frequency range is feeding back and then pulling that frequency area back. so EQ and a Preamp and a phase switch all are very helpful in fighting feedback.

the shims are probably ok. the main thing is to get a good fit-generally a nice tight fit will get you a strong signal and more gain before feedback. at least this is what i have found.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You must be playing louder than hell! I've gotten feedback with the Underwood, but playing a blues gig, carved (live) bass, screaming amp and even more screaming PA system with subs in a small and live room.

The only time in 20 or so years with the Underwood.

4. Try this: if the amp has a gain knob (by the input jack socket) and a volume or master knob (this is standard layout for most modern amps), then make sure you keep the gain knob below 12 o'clock, in fact around 10 or 11 o'clock is better. Use the volume knob for your...... volume! Double basses hate high input gain levels, so keep it down and use the power section of your amp to do the work.