Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underwood

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassturtle, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    One of my buddies is letting have an old Underwood that he doesn't use any more. I've read in several threads that some of you guys will only use one of the pieces under the wing...is it a phase issue or something....have you had better results with using only one?
    Also, I've been told that the underwood is a bit more 'midrange-ie' sounding because of the location, being close to the strings, as opposed to something like the realist, a bit more woody sounding, because it's flush against the body. Is this a safe ASSumption?
    And finally, how many run-on-sentences/misuses of the 'comma' did I use in this post?

2. McBass

McBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    McB is dead-on.

If your bridge has wings that end in a curly-cue the Underwood won't work well. You need a bridge that has wings that end flat.

FWIW, I'm a 25+year Underwood user.

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Cool thanks guys. I just installed it about an hour ago. I started with just one of the elements in, but it seemed a bit hollow sounding, so I put the other one in....that seemed to do the trick. The whole thing is very even and veeeery articulate. I think I'll have to keep the top end rolled off a bit tho.

So anyway, thanks again for the input.

So far so good with the Underwood :) Hey, that rhymed! :D

5. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    My luthier set up a new bridge on a 55 year old kay and no fault to her made the curly wings. The ole underwood craped out. However, my christopher was set up with flat wings and sounds fantastic through my baby baby blue. Later Gator