Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unexplainable GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jun 26, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Have you ever felt like you had GAS not for really any particular bass, but just for A new bass in general? In the past week I've gone from wanting a P-Bass (SITSOM book and dvd will do that) :), a 6-string, and new as of today after seeing a local player, I have a gas for a natural flamed maple top/BEM fretboard p/j with gold hardware *lol*

Where does this come from? I mean I'm pretty happy with the gear I have now but for some reason my brain won't shut off about thinking about others...not to replace what I have, just in addition.

I suppose as far as the p-bass and the sixer are concerned I could just get an Essex and Brice and cure both huh? :)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would spontaneously get GAS for a MM Stingray. About every three months or so, I'd just start GASing for one pretty hard for a couple days, and then it'd pass.

...I ended up getting one.

I'm quite terrible at such things.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    lol you have my same sickness,it is called StinGrayissius,the need and love for StingRays,and also i have other sicknes,the Jazziuss,jazz fever in other words,i don,t know why i go to cure first,maybe the Jazz.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've put ALL my savings and extra $$ into different mutual funds and IRA's and MM's. Much of it is "liquid" and penalty free to access but it takes a few days and is a pain in the butt to get my hands on. I call this the BFMS(Beano financial management system). I am more or less immune to the temporary form of GAS, but the hard stuff still gets me.

5. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I have a newb question, what's GAS?

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    lol am spanish guy and when i was new here i can,t understand what the hell with the term GAS in the bass forum,but is refer to a need for a new bass or for a need to spend more money in a new bass,they have another statement,the wifes concern lol my english is too poor but i try,maybe later a english man can help yuo and me more. :D

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    It's an acronym for Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.). Like when you are gas-sing for something new.

It is also a disease that is spread here on TB and it is incurable. ;)

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    this born here? i see the term GAS in others forums, :confused:

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Paul should make a stickie about what GAS is..either that or put it in the FAQ.

I don't know if maybe I'm just bored or what, but I wish I could tame the urge because I usually act upon it :)

10. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I think it was born on SOME forum somewhere. I first heard the term from a guitar playing friend, so it is all over guitar and bass forums, harmony central et. al.

11. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    LOL, the same exact thing happened to me after watching that movie. I tried soloing the neck pup on my Jazz for awhile, but it's just not the same as a P. Now I find myself scanning this forum and ebay for a nice sunburst/tort/rosewood P bass everyday. This after buying two new basses in the last couple of months. :eek:

TB is definitely not the place to hang out if you're fighting GAS. :D

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think if I get anything, this would be the thing to get. Probably the best thing for me to do without breaking the bank too much would be to get an Essex SPB-62 and upgrade the pickup and the pickgaurd. From the construction quality that I've heard about (minus having to set it up, which as long as the frets don't need work themselves, this is fine) I think it would serve me well.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I GAS for all sorts of basses all day. I'm like this with my other hobbies. I like to accumulate stuff.

One moment I want that red Valenti (actually I always do)

Then I want a Lakland DJ

Then it's something P/J so I'll have all bases (bad pun) covered.

Oh, how about a 5er?

I need a promotion.

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    As of now I GAS for:

A Lecompte custom
    A Precision
    A fretless
    A Rick
    A thunderbird

Hmm, i just had an idea. I can get a Lecompte custom. Neckthrough with an upper Rick body and on the bottom(G side) half a t-bird. then a fretless neck, T-bird humbucker at the bridge, P pick up at the neck with a Rick pick up in the middle of those. GAS solved!

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    my need for a Gas is
    Jazz Bass American Deluxe
    a new amp
    new tunner
    new strap
    new gig bag
    new line wire
    new bass stand
    and maybe a Music Man Sting Ray too
    :D

16. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Sounds nastier than regular gas I'm sure. But in the past 6 weeks or so I've purchased a used B212, used B210 and just won on ebay a weeks old, KSD 5 frtless. The wife is freaking, but I told her it is alot better than my usual gas for new gear. And, got a steady Friday nite gig since mid-April sorta house band thing and another place has us booked 2 Saturdays a month thru Dec. And just starting to host open mic nites on Wednesdays, ( SHAMLESS PLUG: Any Houston, TX area players want to jam head to Nauticals Club 8pm-12, Spring Cypress Rd, sorry but thanks). I've had dry spells of no gigs and no extra money to buy gear so its nice to be on the plus side for a change. Best of all not hitting on the homestead budget. I consider it, investing in my craft.

17. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    my G.A.S.:

schroeder cabs and ampeg amp, can't afford ampeg, no schroeder here, will get swr

conklin 6: never gonna happen

fodera yin yang: never gonna happen

vintage p: never gonna happen

damn american export tax! another 20% plus about 500 shipping!!!! :mad: :( :crying: :bawl:

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    This week I
    - bought 4 basses
    - sold 1 bass (already have a great offer on one of the new ones)
    - 2 basses to be listed for sale
    - bought 4 new drivers for a rig I'm building.

Yeah, I have no idea what GAS is.

19. whooooooooa...

damn dude... IM trying to squeeze money from somewhere to fund my latest GAS, and you bought 4 this week... lucky bastard. hehe

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    In three days, I bought a Reverend Rumblefish 5L (used) and a Mike Dirnt Precision (new, black).

It was like some sort of fever.