Unglued seam

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by zappabass, May 17, 2004.

1. zappabass

Mar 31, 2004
    I was wondering if an unglued seam is something very serious or if I could go a little while before getting it fixed. I think I''ve seen some people with unglued seams from time to time. What season is the top most likely to seperate in? Should I wait a certain season before getting it fixed?
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, what bout and which side is the seam open on? How wide and how long is the opening?

Open seams aren't a major emergency, (usually) but you should get it looked at as soon as your schedule allows. Within a week or two, not a month or two. Seams open in dry winter weather, but high humidity and high temperature (the summer) will open seams as well. If you want more specific answers, we need more information from you...
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Check that the ribs aren't distorting where the seam is loose. If there is some distorting, I would say sooner than later. Rib re-glues aren't very expensive only take overnight.
  4. zappabass

Mar 31, 2004
    The seam opens on the lower bout and on the back side. It starts on the bottom right where it starts to curve on the left side and goes for about 13'' below a 1/16" opening, then for about the next 9 inches it gradually grows bigger and then smaller again. At it's widest point it is about 3/16". I'll probably have it looked at soon because has been distorting on the open a and e. I have been using detacked masking tape to keep this down but now that I'm looking at it it looks too ghetto rigged for me.
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'd get on it. I had a little open seam in the back that turned into a case of the back popping right off on an Epiphone. It ended okay, but it was very unnerving.
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I was talking about the body of the bass distorting, not the tone.

22" of seam wide open? Time to get it to the shop.
  7. moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a seam split about a month or so ago around the same area, but I noticed it early on (I was cleaning the bass and saw upon close inspection the lack of an airtight seal for about 4 inches)- I took the strings off to relieve tension and enable me to get some hide glue into the crack, clamped it, and let it set overnight- But my point is, the cause for this happening with me was partly the pressure from the too tight soundpost- With the strings off, I still had to use pliers to knock out the post (it should be able to be knocked over by a gentle finger push, or bump to the body)- SO, you might as well check the post while you're in fix-it mode; if it is too tight, your tone will also benefit from this fix...