1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uni.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Holly Wright, Oct 19, 2006.

1. I talked to my dad last night about my future, we had a long discussion and it came with the conclusion that I could major in music and if that doesnt work out (and I'm pretty much sure it won't) I can go back and major in something with a lot more garentees. (I would actually like to be a teacher)

He said he would allow this as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and that I do it in-state (TX for me).

I've heard both SHSU and UT have a nice music program. And both are said to have amazing teachers, but I would like to look at all the options. Also, what are the pros and cons of them. I met Mr. Neuburt (sp?) last May for a brief session when I played my solo and he gave the air of a really caring and talented teacher, since I have not met Deborah Dunham, I am leaning more on UT, but being close to home would be nice, and SHSU is an easy drive from where I live now.

My dad said he would take me to the universities that I think would be good choices, he's also willing to drive me down to UT (He is really happy I have decided what to do, I have decided that I think I have the determination for majoring in music)

I finally got a teacher as well!

*If this isn't in the right place, sorry, I didn't know where to put it*

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What about University of North Texas?

3. Holly;

Congrats on the decision!! There is no reason that the study in music and the ability to apply education elswhere can't go hand in hand with each other. Study hard, enjoy yourself, play well!!

4. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Holly,

We looked into this a bit two years ago when my daughter was thinking about a major in voice so this may not apply to double bass. The Texas public schools that seem to be mentioned the most were UT Austin, UT San Antonio, UT Arlington, UNT, and SHSU. My daughter chose SHSU but she decided to major in special education instead of music. She likes the school, loves her major, and likes the community. It's a smaller campus than UTA and easy to get around. It is pretty hilly, so if you're going to study bass you'll probably get a pretty good workout. It's also less expensive than the big schools. My other daughter goes to TAMU and her tuition and fees are almost double SHSU. A factor your dad may appreciate.

Check 'em all out. The great thing about Texas is you can get to anywhere in the state in 9-10 hours with a good car. ;)

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1 to this. I don't know about their classical program (which is what it seems like you're pursuing) but their jazz is faaaantastic.

6. About SHSU being very hilly, I went to a string invitational about a month ago. We walked to Subway from the music builiding and we were exausted! The fact that I'm a brit suffering from hugh humidity and heat didnt help. If I go there I know I'll be fit afterwards :oops:!

It seems A&M isn't very good for music, from what I have heard anyways. I wasn't really looking into it, my brother on the other hand is, but he is into chemical engineering.

I plan on checking them all out :) But I am only a sophomore so I can't really do anything through the school right now (they reserve that for the juniors and seniors. I am however one of those people who plan ahead for everything. I am always on time if not early, and I rarely get caught without something I should have, and because of this I really get annoyed that I have no clue where I will be in 10 yrs.).

UNT has a very good tutorial on their website, thanks jallenbass for suggesting I look into the uni. I will devour that in due time :)

I'm not really interested in jazz, more ska, so it is safe to say I am looking for a uni with a really good classical program.

Thanks for all of the replies :) They help me a lot. I will be talking to my director on Monday, I want to ask him what he thinks. If anyone knows my skills on bass it's him, and he knows what unis want :)

7. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you should consider A&M for music school. I brought it up only for a cost comparison since I have first hand knowledge of the expenses at both schools. My Aggie is a business major (for now). The TAMU music program is very new and they are just getting their feet under them. They have had the excellent Marian Anderson String Quartet in residence the last few years, so there is some string expertise but I don't know if there is a double bassist on faculty. I couldn't find one when I was looking for a teacher a few months ago.

SHSU is well regarded as a teacher training program and many of the music teachers around here came out of that program.

Your director is your best advisor as they are usually plugged into the current scene at the various universities. Also, if you go to all-city, region, or state you'll probably meet some of the faculty from various schools who serve as technicians at these events. Good luck, it's never too soon to start looking. I also have a HS sophomore and I know your senior year will be here before you know it.

8. You might want to attend Bass Camp at UNT next summer to check out UNT.

Think about what type of environment you are more comfortable in. UNT and UT have larger music schools. If you thrive in competition, that maybe better for you.

SHSU has a smaller music school. If you think you'll do better with less pressure, that maybe best.

9. I think SHSU would be best then... I stink with pressure.

I briefly looked into UNT Bass Camp and it seems to lean on jazz. I have no ability with jazz. I can do theory, but improvision... :help:

What about the other unis in TX. so far UT, UNT, and SHSU that have been highly recommended, and a few others mentioned. Are there any descreet unis in TX that have good classical bass courses?

10. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Well, in that case it may be good to learn how to spell 'guarantee' ;).

By the way, don't shy away from improv. at such a young age. Unless you're scoring some major classical position soon (or even w/ that) every bassist needs to be able to AT LEAST improvise a convincing walking bass line to a set of chord changes in a jazz context. It's not rocket science. It's a learned skill.

I've never bought into this irrational fear of improv. that many, even highly trained, classically musicians have. I've often wondered when and why did this schism betwn improv. and classical music take place? In Bach and in Mozart's days every competent musician could improvise.

Accompanists were often given a set of figured bass harmonies instead a written part and they improvised their accompaniment just as Jazz and commercial musicians do today w/ lead sheets that have just a set of chord symbols.
    Sorry to derail the subject w/ my improv. rant, but to me it seems young musicians would be best served in their training not to skip studying Jazz or improv. Especially when it is such an important role for our beloved instrument. You never know when you will need these skills later on..

BG

11. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    There are two, one for jazz and one for classical. Lynn Seaton teaches the jazz camp and Jeff Bradetich teaches the classical camp.

The classical camp actually attracts more people, including a lot of very young kids, and so Jeff Bradetich gets more official help I think.

I wanted to go to both this year, but they happened at the same time rather than back-to-back this time. I went to the jazz camp this year, and it was awesome. I don't think you could go wrong going to either one, personally.

12. Dyslexia... :oops: sorry :help:

I am not at the level where my parents will drive me 40 miles to learn improvison, and that is the closest teacher that will teach it.

I will take that into consideration and see about learning ASAP (probally when I get a job and a car....)

hmm.. Can any one tell me what I should know going into a course such as this?

13. As above, UNT camp has both Classical & Jazz. I went to the Classical two summers ago. Most of the attendees are high school and college students. I was a little OLDER that most, as I have children in high school.

I attended a Tx Bass Symposium a couple of years ago at Baylor. There were teachers there from UT, UNT, UofH, TCU, Baylor and Tech. I beleive last year it was at UofH. I'm not sure where it is this year.

That may also be a way to check out more teachers.

14. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    If you're actually interested in it, and you have some classical chops, just pick up a good jazz bass book and listen to a lot of jazz.

15. NotACello

NotACello

Oct 11, 2006
    new york city!
    Sorry to be a downer here, but you're setting yourself up for failure. If you want to be a classical bass player, you have to OWN it. Not restrict yourself to only schools within your state, and not saying things like "well it's probably not going to work out so I'll do this for a little bit and then do something else." It doesn't work like that. You'll last a year tops with that kind of attitude. There are wonderful bass schools all over the country that can give you the kind of education and experience you need if you even want a chance at doing this for a career, and they're not any of the afforementioned schools. You've given up before you've even started, so why even waste your time and money doing something you've already accepted failure for?

16. You do not understand my mind. There is nothing I want more than to become a classical bass player. I know my parents cannot afford to send me out of state to learn, therefore I restrict myself to good schools around me. I have not accepted failure and never will. I am being realistic, there are many many people who do not make it as a proffesional musician. I'm not planning to fail, I'm planning for if I fail. I am the only Sophomore I know that practices 2 hours a day. I am deligant and would like something for my work. I aim to get better and better and If I dont make it in music the extended learning will aid me in my playing though my life. I know I cameoff with the air that I don't care, but I do. I don't want to get down over failing when I won't be allone. I am sorry my parents will struggle to pay me and my brother through higher edu. I really am, and I am not going to burden them anymore. They are not musians, they have never gone though this. The only reason my dad is letting me take this course is so I quit asking him about it. They don't believe I am serious. No one does.

Very sorry for the rant, and the spelling, I am about to miss my bus.

17. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    Actually, as far as having to stay in state for school, Texas leaves you with some good choices.

UNT is a good school, and Jeff Bradetitch is a well-respected bass teacher. It also has the world's largest bass program, boasting up to 90 students in any given year. If anything, you would be ready to go to a graduate school, possibly out of state, after finishing there.

Nobody has mentioned Rice yet, which surprises me. I don't know where your playing is right now, but if you really are practicing at least two hours a day and you're still only a sophmore, then it's isn't entirely out of your grasp to be considering Rice. Paul Ellison is one of the world's leading bass teachers, without question. You live very close to one of the nation's best music schools, and it would be a bad idea for you to not even look at it. If you can, get a lesson with Paul at some point and see where he thinks you can go.

18. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Paul,
    I thought about Rice, which is a great school and a great program. But, it's private and a little on the pricy side. They do have good financial aid packages if you qualify and it is worth looking into. The original post was for in-state, which I think most of us assumed to be public schools.

Holly, I bet a lot of us on this forum believe you are serious and we're supportative. I'm not sure if NotACello meant this but what I got from his/her post is that to be a successful professional musician you have to believe deep in your soul that there is nothing else in life that you could do that would be as satisifying and rewarding. This helps overcome all the frustration, heartache, setbacks, crappy venues, and poor pay that you will have to endure on this path. The opportunity to do something you love and make a living at it makes it all worthwhile.

There are some other threads on the board on becoming a professional classical double bassist. Here are three to get you started:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236908
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228576
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248719

19. I apologize NotACello, because I now see you are just giving the facts of life, and I understand where you are coming from when you say I shouldn't go when I don't really care.

(just reread my post... :bag: )

I have read as many threads on this as I can find over the time I have browsed this forum. I know what I want and how I am going to get it, I know I am prepared to work my ass off and hopefully I'll have fun somewhere along the way :). I was looking for schools in TX, and why I should, or why I shouldnt go to them :) But advice is also appreciated :)

20. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    + one for North Texas with Jeff Bradetich. I had a good time at U T with Neubert too, but I have always been impressed with Jeff. I couldn't afford or get into Rice myself.

I opted for a city with some stuff to do, and ended up working a day job in Austin, which is a great place.

UNT is very cheap, but I got a scholarship to go to UT for free which made my decision.

I am glad I didn't graduate with a music degree and debt, I don't think I could have dealt with that.

Good luck, PM me if you want info on UT.