1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Unique Custom 3/4 Travel Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Gavri-Tov Yares, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Price:
    District Of Columbia

Since 2009, Frankenbass (Frankie) has been my double bass of choice. My brother dubbed the bass "Frankenbass" when Mike Shank of Shank's Strings helped customize this bass specifically for travel purposes. I needed a bass that could travel on an airplane with ease, but without sacrificing tone. Whether flying, driving, or battling the NYC subway, this bass is an east to get from gig to gig!

Frankie is based on a similar bass that Mike previously customized for jazz bassist Elias Bailey. The bass is much smaller in size when compared to a typical 3/4 bass, but Frankie has a similar string length (41 ¼”) and the acoustic properties that many travel basses lack. Due to the smaller body, the bass has less issues with feedback and sounds great through a pick up/a mic.

The bottom line is I LOVE this bass, but it is time to downsize. I hope it can find the right new owner!

• Set-up and maintained by Mike Shanks of Shank's Strings
    • String Length: 41 ¼”
    • Body: ¼ size vintage Engelhardt
    • Neck: Removable ¾ neck
    • Fingerboard: ebony
    • Bridge: custom made bridge with adjustors
    • Pickup: Fishman Full Circle
    • Strings: Thomastik Spirocore
    • Sound post: The sound post is screwed into the front and back sides of the bass to prevent the sound post from falling out of place when the neck is removed during travel.
    • Lower Treble Violin Corner: The corner on the lower treble bout was removed to allow for the bow to clear the side of the bass.
    • Endpins: The bass has a 5/8” traditional endpin as well as a hole drilled for a ½” angled endpin.

• Customized Mooradian bass case to fit bass (Slightly worn, but works great!)
    • Custom fitted flight cases for the body and neck from CaseXtreme. (Case w/o bass is 27.6 lbs.)
    • Bass guitar gig bag that works well when taking the neck and bow(s) as a carry-on item.
    • Hipshop FreeRange Xtender

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    ECWKiarro and conte2music like this.
  2. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Whats the string length on this?
    Very interesting bass
  3. The string length is 41.25 inches.
  4. The string length is 41.25 inches
  5. steve.whipple

steve.whipple Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello there- you have a private message. Can you check it and get back to me when you get a chance, please? Thanks!
  6. Hi Steve,

I'm sorry for the delay! I'm currently in Sweden on a family holiday/business trip. I will try to answer your questions later today.

Best wishes,
  7. steve.whipple

steve.whipple Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ok, no problem. Looking forward to hearing from you.