Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unique requirements

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am coming into the market for a brand new 6 string fretless bass. The following are some of the attributes which I would like:
    1) Not much more than a $2000 price tag
    2) Good playability for a 6 string (neck manageable, I have medium sized hands, string spacing comfortable)
    3) Good fretless tone- both able to get "mwah" and warm bassy fretless sounds while still being clear
    4) Prefer neck-thru but if it was a good enough bolt-on I wouldn't mind
    5) Smooth "buttery" fretless playability

I will be using the bass mainly for jazz and blues with the occasional classic rock, reggae, or fusion song. I am looking to use it for a fair deal of chordal and solo playing so it must be able to cut through the mix pretty well. Right now a CARVIN ICON 6 is my first choice, but if you have any otherwise suggestions, I would appreciate them very much. Thanks!

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    OK, bad attempt at a pun. Sue me. Check out the Peavey. Spacing could be a tad wide for you though, dunno.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    I was going to recommend a Carvin fretless bass, but I see you have already looked into them.

Although I have not played a Carvin Icon 6, I presently own a Carvin LB75F with two H50N pick-ups. The bass has served my fretless requirements well over the years. IME, it will work well for the music genres you have stated.

Ted

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus basses have fairly narrow spacing, and a very thin neck profile. If you look around long enough, you should be able to find a fretless 6er well within your price range.

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    There is a used Roscoe LG 3006 on the classified board in TB. Fits all your criteria to a T except it's used. I would consider that option very strongly. That is a great brand. Read the numerous post on TB. I own a Roscoe LG3005 fretless. Love it!

Try your negotiation skills, maybe get it for even less.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234673

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Hey Thump,
    I sent you a PM concerning the Roscoe SKB3006 fretless I have for sale.
    Let me know if you have any questions!

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That is the one I would go for if I was you. I forgot this one was in the For Sale section, or I would have mentioned it over the Cirrus.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    that's what i was gonna say. i would go for a loaded IC6... they look delicious :smug: .

10. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    Inspired by Steve Lawson's sound, I scored a used modulus quantum 6 fretless (lined) quite south of $2K. It plays and sounds fantastic.

Don't rule out used....there's so much sweet stuff out there.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yup, for 2 grand you can get a very nice new bass, but you can get a completely amazing lightly used bass from one of us crackheads on TB. Pretty much anything you can imagine is available in that price range, except Foderas and a few other ultra high end brands.

I'm sure the carvins are nice though, as are the peaveys. Other brands to check out (and in your price range new) would be the pedulla bolt ons, warwicks, and if you can find a Zon you can afford they make about the nicest fretless basses I can imagine, with real sleek necks.

But that used roscoe sounds like a real nice option to me!

12. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I just got a Lecompte VB5 fretless and it is everything I had hoped for in a fretless bass and more. Check them out. Very reasonably priced, excellent craftsmanship,great customer service. It plays so smooth.You can check out my review in the " gear Reviews" section. Good luck!!

13. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I say Warwick Corvette if you're open to that brand. Can't beat their fretless sound....

14. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1 on the warwicks, im a thumb guy though.

15. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Thanks for all of your help guys, I will consider all of your suggestions.