Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Universal Language?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Turski, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Wouldn't it be easier if the whole world spoke the same language?

My choice would have to be body language.;)

How do you think it would affect the way the human language is used today?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Music is the only universal language.

3. It would definitely facilitate internation communication, but so much culture would be lost. I would advocate everyone learning one language, along with their local one, so there is the best of both worlds.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Yes, but even music has different languages. If it was all spoken the same, think how lame music would be. :meh:

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    sure, as long as it's english.

;)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There'd still be just as much differentiation in the meanings behind the words..different cultures would develop different interpretations using the same words (you can see that by just looking at the differences in dialect and meaning between someone from Louisianna and someone from Britain). People are probably too unique/stubborn and would find a way to make their culture's version of the language different somehow.

And as we all know, Esperanto didn't quite work out as the universal language.

7. We need an empire to take control of the world by force, then we will have a universal language

watching all the Khan things today

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    In fact, we are ;)

If you "believe" Chomsky's ideas that is ;)

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Chomsky's Lobby material.

How's that for Manufactured consent?:smug:

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That bastard!

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Esperanto's problem is that there are no native speakers of the language, so it's not like it feels very useful.

Now, idea of universal second language is much closer, and I understand English is the most widely spread non-native language, and geographically speaking a widely spread native language too. Of course other former colonial languages - especially in the Third World countries - like French, Spanish and German come behind it, too.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It worked in Star Trek so why not ;) .

13. what colonies did germany have exactly?

14. Spanish has got to be #2. Sometimes it feels like it's overtaking English in the US.:p

Parts of the modern-day USA were settled by Germans, as one example.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    English is well on its way towards becoming a universal language. We have 600,000+ words and growing, many of the new words we assimilate are directly related to other languages...etc.

It's kinda funny, because, yes, more homogeneity would make things quite a bit more efficient and/or streamlined. But, there is something to be said about the preservation of culture, language, heritage, tradition, beliefs...etc. Language is a very integral part to the development of many peoples, if stripped of individual languages, many of other establishments lose influence and culture dies.

So it's a double edged sword. In many ways, doing away with languages and culture and striving for unification would conceivably create a more harmonious world. But it would also create a lame world too. I think. heh

16. I think the Universal Language should be in farts. Most people talk out of their *** most of the time anyway (myself included). :D

- Dave

17. Spanish is bigger than English

1. Mandarin, 885 million have it as their first language
    2. Spanish, 332 million
    3. English, 322 million
    4. Bengali, 189 million
    5. Hindi, 182 million
    6. Russian, 170 million
    7. Portugese, 170 million
    8. Japanese, 125 million
    9. German, 98 million
    10. Wu (chinese dialect) 70 million

18. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have nothing worthwile to contribute to this thread except that there is a one-act play by David Ives called "The Universal Language." I directed it several years ago.

The principle is that the language, Unamunda, is made up of words that almost sound like the English words they are replacing:

"Melgibson da rest enda morgan" - I'll give you the rest in the morning

"No desperanto!" - Do not despair

"Alaska, Iago parladoop Johncleese" - Unfortunately (alas), I don't speak English.

"Iago trattoria Shakespeare enda Unamunda... 'Mock visp, vot loomen trip yondra fenstra sheint? Arf den oyster, epp Juliet arf song!" - I'm translating Shakespeare into Unamunda: 'But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

I'm talking about his linguistics.

The idea is that all natural languages are in fact variations on the same basic rules, which seems to be right, because the same grammatical principles come back in all languages.

More OT; a language is a part of culture and identity, and I wouldn't swap it for a universal language for all the money in the word.

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My mistake.

I agree, one language can allow for more depth of feeling in certain areas than another.