1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unusual Dead spots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vij, Mar 16, 2009.

1. vij

vij

Nov 21, 2007
    I have 3 basses.

One MIM Jazz 1962 vintage reissue, one Hohner "the jack" and one LTD something.

They all have dead spots at the same place. With 0,40 strings it is at G# on the E-string and if I install 0,45 strings and tighten the neck it moves to F# at the E-string.

I have been reading about dead spots and most basses have them at about C# at the G-string so mine is totaly different.

I start to think that it is me and my stile of playing as all 3 basses are the same.

Does some one have any ideas or experience about this? Can it be solved?

Jocke.........

2. The probability that three basses have the same 'dead spot' in that unusual place, and that it 'moves' an entire step with a simple string change is virtually impossible.

My guess is, it is an issue with your amplification or possibly even the room you are playing in.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    +1 on this being weird. I've seen minor dead spots on the E string, but on all three of your basses? (In my case, I have a bass with a minor dead spot at the 5th fret of the E string. It can easily be handled with a little setup and eq - to the point that I sometimes wonder if I imagined the whole thing.)

Have you listened to the basses unplugged in a quiet room? This sounds more like some bizarre setup issue or an amp eq problem than three matching dead spots. And do you always use the same brand strings? Try something different there.

It could be dead spots, but if you've hit three dead spots that move (never heard of a dead spot moving due to the gauge of a string that doesn't have the dead spot) on three different basses, you might want to go buy a lottery ticket, because you have definitely beat the odds.