1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unveiling ~ Part Two: Projekt Blue II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malak the Mad, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Frickin' love it! Nice FrankenBass.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  2. Killer Canary

Killer Canary Guest

Aug 27, 2015
    I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said except
    Malak The Tasteful.
    I've benefited from your creativity.
    Long may you rock.:thumbsup:

JRA and Malak the Mad like this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Quick, picture-less update! (Worry notnew pics will be forthcoming once the weather allows for a proper photo-shoot! :snaphappy:)

I took my Blue Beastie back to my local guitar tech for a little more routing. This time, I'm doing what I should've done in the first place. I picked up a Reggie Hamilton signature Jazz pickguard, courtesy of the fine folks at WD Music, to be the routing template for the P-pup position. Now, it's placement is much closer to the classic "Sweet Spot of Yore".

So far, it's made an interesting impact on the sound. It's sounding even more deep, rumbly and well…Precision-like! But the jury (in my head and ears) is still out due to the pup needing a new piece of foam. Until I get it at the proper height, I'll reserve my final judgement 'til then, but the initial post-op shakedown is very encouraging! :woot:

But wait…there's the "Cosmetic" angle to deal with too! :cool: The pickguard is of the classic black/white/black plastic construction, and I can't let Projekt Blue stand in front of a camera without it's signature Sharpie-Blue tinting. (Heaven for fend, no! :nailbiting:) That, and I need to finally apply the vinyl "inlays" I bought from Jockomo last year, along with it's customized 12th-fret marker.

Why the delay on the inlays, you may ask? The directions say to wait a week before applying if you've oiled the fretboard. Since it was "going under the knife", I used that as an opportunity to give it a much needed lemon oil appliqué. Now that a couple of weeks have passed, it's ready to get all gussied-up. drool

4. Malak the Mad

Here's some of the pics I promised. These were taken immediately after I brought it home from the hospital my local Guitar Center. Yet again, mad props to Mike the Guitar Tech for doing such a clean routing job…and with minimal wood extracted! Nice and tight!! :thumbsup:

IMG_1521_zpszawmoftw.jpg
    IMG_1523_zpsefw1mkua.jpg

It's definitely had an effect on the overall sound. I can't fully describe it, so let's just call it "deeper".

Oh, and for those who've thought about (or already went ahead and did it) doing a Sharpie-Dye-Job on a pickguard, I have an update on that front as well.

I've been hesitant to seal it up with brush-on Krazy Glue since I don't know exactly what will happen. Well, since I had the previously-tinted Blacktop Jazz guard handy, I thought I'd use it as a test-bed. On the up-side, the dye is well protected and sealed in. No more worries about stray dye coming off. On the down-side, it neutralized that super cool scarab-effect I love so very, very much. So for the time being, I'll be leaving the dye-job unsealed and unadulterated. ;)

One last thing (for now!), I'm trying out a brand-new set of D'Addario NYXL .100's on it. So far, the results are encouraging. They sound and feel quite nice, but I'll reserve final judgement for after I get to know them a bit better.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Interesting to see that old trick again. Way back when I started using mint green, tan/brown and black art markers to tint the white middle layer on black and tort pickguards.

6. Malak the Mad

Now that everything is installed and reassembled, it's time for another update! :woot:

The new, Reggie-spec'd routing was a resounding success! It has definitely added a bit more "beef" to the overall sound, but without turning it "muddy". Mad Love for @Reggie Hamilton and his design team who sussed out the "Sweet Spot" placement for a Precision pickup on a Jazz body! I tip my hat to thee and thine!! bow_zpscxlbpjjb.gif

As stated on the previous page, the neck was harvested from a Fender Aerodyne (Export-Edition) Jazz bass, which has proven time and again to be one of my all-time favorite necks. I've further "enhanced" it with a set of white pearloid, vinyl inlay stickers from Jockomo. I even went to the added expense of having a customized, 12th-fret inlay in an abalone color scheme. Mind you, I made sure to follow his instructions regarding the stickers and oiling the fretboard. He specifies waiting at least a week after oiling the board before installation. Just to be sure, I waited a few weeks, then gave the board a wipe-down with a dry polishing cloth.

The new D'Addario NYXL's are working out quite well. They have the "smooth, yet growly" aspect of their FlexSteels, but with the visual "shine" of nickel or stainless steel strings. (FlexSteels and Ernie Ball Cobalt rounds have a duller finish, which does not make me love them any less…it's merely a visual difference)

Before I get to the pics, I'd like to thank everyone who's offered praise, encouragement, advice and valuable, constructive criticism. All of you deserve a little bit of credit for what may be the zenith of this long-term project of mine. It's been incredibly educational, occasionally frustrating (but what well-earned things in life aren't?) and most of all…an 'eff-ton of fun! Mad Love to all y'all!! :thumbsup: :bassist:

But enough of this jibber-jabber…it's Photo-Time!!
    :snaphappy:

DSCF0631_zpsnjoqnxpd.jpg
    DSCF0636_zpspo9znqp7.jpg
    DSCF0641_zpslj5lsy8c.jpg
    DSCF0642_zpsbhczfi0a.jpg
    DSCF0647_zpsgsqwnpol.jpg
    DSCF0638_zpsmt95z4pm.jpg
    DSCF0652_zpsi3tl9i4y.jpg
    DSCF0656_zps1kabdhu0.jpg DSCF0648_zpsv2gv8xeh.jpg

7. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Well done and creatively simple!

8. Malak the Mad

Many thanks, Ghastly! I'm assuming you're talking about the pickguard-tinting we discussed earlier, yes? 'Cuz yeah, that's pretty simple. The path to curating and assembling "The Whole Shebang" was a bit rockier, but I wouldn't change a thing, save perhaps using a Blacktop guard at the onset. Thank Bob, it didn't require too much more routing for the Reggie-sig guard to go into place! :)

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Yes, the sharpie tinting and cyno-seal are genius!

10. Malak the Mad

Thanks, but some credit has to go to @JIO for bringing the Krazy Glue brush-applicator to my attention. I may yet use it on my red-tinged Blacktop guard, since it doesn't have the scarab-effect of the blue Sharpie dye. But for now, I'll keep my current guard unglued.

Ghastly likes this.
  11. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I use the Krazy Glue brush-applicator all the time for many applications. You can repair small divots/dings building it up and it's pretty seamless. You can't go too heavy all at once - it'll fog a bit, probably a chemical burn of some sort. Also - if doing larger sections, be really careful standing over it. Not only the smell (bad) but the fumes will burn your eyes - not recommended. (do it outside or with a fan blowing sideways away from your face)

12. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Very cool project, I like it!
    You start out with some parts, try them out for a while and improve them until you get the bass you really like.
    Great!

13. Malak the Mad

Yes sir, it's pretty much that. It can be as fun as it is educational to tinker and experiment. And with a resource like TalkBass at one's fingertips, it opens up soooooo many possibilities…one could almost say too many. o_O

If you fail here or there, at least you've learned something. If you succeed, you just might end up with an excellent instrument, "resale value" be damned.

Another benefit that I've mentioned across several threads is how the cost of the instrument gets spread across such a great amount of time. It helps minimize the "pinch" your wallet feels. :greedy:

eric_B likes this.
  14. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Absolutely stunning....That body makes my knees go weak and I want that finish on my SR5 or Jazz 5ver

I really like the look with just the neck dots...but that is my taste if no binding

You certainly have inspired me......and have done a beautiful job

15. Malak the Mad

Many heartfelt thanks, Murphy! bow_zpscxlbpjjb.gif I must say, I don't know which I enjoy more…people appreciating my work or the inspiration to create and explore they derive from it.

Sadly, I suspect Mighty Mite may have gotten out of the business of making Fender® licensed bodies and necks. Their website is strangely devoid of them (not that their website was ever one I would call "well maintained" :meh:) and the selection of necks is not what it used to be. I'm guessing their license expired or was not renewed, probably when Fender got into making their own replacement bodies and necks. hmm_zpsjrfywaas.gif

16. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I also like that body, the transparant blue to dark blue is absolutely stunning.
    After some experimenting, it goes beyond my skills at the moment to make a decent job of my DYI kit - and I'm a nitpicker :D - so I'll stick with a natural wood finish.
    I'll keep it in mind though for DIY build #2 :)

17. Malak the Mad

Nothing wrong with experimenting on some scrap pieces of wood first…just sayin'. :whistle:

18. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Right, that made me conclude my skills are not up to par yet :D

19. Malak - you and GIO always seem to have some of the coolest, most unique basses out there. Thanks for sharing.

murphy, JIO and Malak the Mad like this.
  20. Malak the Mad

Thank you for your kind words, especially when you compare the products of my hobby to the pro-level work @JIO does. :)

If you're interested, I gave another bass of mine a makeover, complete with pictures, here. ;)

murphy and JIO like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021