1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unwanted noise from pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wargasm7000, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Wargasm7000

Wargasm7000

Nov 23, 2018
    I've been experiencing an awful lot of hissing type noise coming from my pedalboard setup. I think I've isolated the problem to my pedalboard but beyond that, I'm having a hard time fixing the issue which is really only a problem when I stop playing while the pedals (one or two in particular) are still on. My chain setup right now is bass-Digitech ex-7 (used as a volume pedal)-Digitech bass whammy-Morley ABY splitter (A side goes to the rest of my pedals, B side goes into the clean channel of my amp or isn't used)-Biyang mad driver od-10 (tubescreamer clone)-JHS Moscow modded green russian big muff-Morley power fuzz wah reissue-Boss turbo distortion DS-2-Alchemy audio modded Boss CS-3-Zoom B1on (emulating a noise gate, Proco rat, and an EQ)-Seymour Duncan pickup booster-old Peavey bass amp (I don't know the model really, it just says Peavey and bass on it but it has separate input channels for clean and distortion) . The noise mostly seems to be coming from the modded big muff unless it's the only pedal that's on. The CS-3 is pretty much always on and seems to amplify the hissing while it's on and the TS clone is almost always on but causes no issue. I'm using the truetone cs-12 for a power supply for everything except the two Digitech pedals which each have their own special power supply. Any pointers as to what I can do to at least reduce the noise, because at the current time, I have to do a weird little stomp dance to turn off everything to avoid the noise. I realize that I use a lot of pedals for a bassist (more than any of my guitar playing friends) and I know that a couple of the pedals are out of order when looking at conventional wisdom (for example the wah being late in the chain specifically because I like the way it screams behind the big muff and TS clone) but I would like to figure this issue out as best as possible. I greatly appreciate any pointers anyone can give me. And if anyone wants a description of then noise, it sounds a bit like a jet engine filled with angry snakes but much quieter if that makes sense. I'll try to clarify anything if needed and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

2. If you've narrowed it down to your pedalboard, then start bypassing one pedal at a time and see if you can find the culprit.

I've experienced that awful hiss before and a pedal wasn't isolated, but it seems you've already powered everything correctly.

3. Wargasm7000

Wargasm7000

Nov 23, 2018
    I think I've narrowed it down to specifically the big muff while the TS clone is also on, regardless of pedal position. I just ordered the EHX silencer since it's a noise gate as well as an effects loop and I'm gonna try isolating those two pedals within the effects loop and see if that fixes my issue. If that doesn't at least help, I might have to find a suitable replacement for the big muff which would be a shame since it's such a good sounding fuzz and with the way I stack gain pedals to make a unique distortion sound, my tone would be missing a lot of it's flavor.

mattbass6945 likes this.