1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Update on "good non mainstream punk bands" form

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cole Louis Allar, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Cole Louis Allar

Cole Louis Allar

Dec 25, 2015
    hey guys! So my last post involved giving suggestions for good non mainstream punk rock bands. I must say, I really got some great suggestions, like the Staples, sloppy seconds, and good stuff like that. But then there were some bands I didn't really care for like doom. Not a fan of Tremendously fast bass lines. Can anyone suggest bands with the same sound and style as The Ramon's, sloppy seconds, or screeching weasel? I'm not really into the clash, NFOX, Minutemen or the dead kennedys. Minimal use of scales in the music if possible, because I just want songs that I can rock out to without too much technical ability, but I make it so Dead simple that it's boring.

2. The Dead Milkmen

10cc likes this.
  3. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Maybe check out some Seattle flavor from the late 80s / early 90s. Supersuckers, Gas Huffer, Cat Butt, The Gits, ... There was a ton of decent straight ahead 1,2,3,4 punk coming out of the northwest in that period, but you wouldn't know it because everybody was too focused on "grunge" at the time.

4. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Ok there are some great modern punk bands that have a ramones type sound. The riverdales, the lillingtons, the spits, teenage bottlerocket, the methadones, the ergs, the queers, teen idols, squirtgun, old firm casuals, carbonas, reatards, the marked men. For old school check out the damned and rose tattoo.

blindrabbit and 10cc like this.
  5. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    This is for you Cole!

blindrabbit and ShredderMaximus like this.
  6. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    One more

blindrabbit and ShredderMaximus like this.
  7. For punk i like The Distillers, The Casualties, and The Unseen. Idk if that helps you at all.

8. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Here's a couple

EDIT: I see now maybe you want newer punk. This is all 70's stuff. Worth checking out if you havent heard it

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    blindrabbit and 10cc like this.
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Check out Neck Deep, Four Year Strong, and The Wonder Years

10. Holy earworm Batman! Thanks for sharing!

irjason and 10cc like this.
  11. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    They just came through town last weekend. I've been hip to them about three years now. Good songs.

ShredderMaximus and blindrabbit like this.