1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

updating the regiment

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Soverntear, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Hey, thanks for looking.

So im looking to add on to my practice schedule. i always want to play more but have no idea what to move on to after my current setup.

Current setup:
    1234 1 fret per finger doing every variation of finger order
    bass isometrics
    dual octave scales starting with f major going to e major
    then i normally go in to some basic slap stuff im trying to learn (link below)
    http://keithgroover.com/slapbass.pdf
    from there i just mess around tyring to write some stuff using little bits of theroy ive picked up.

im always left after that still wanting to play allot more. but have no idea what to work on. I sometimes try more slapping and what not. but my tendons in my left arm are still healing from a nasty break.

i was thinking about printing out a bunch of tabs and learning off those. and continuing on with my slapping (yes i really want to learn slap) im also looking for maybe some additional drill i could run. yes im actually enjoying the drills for what they are.

also one random one for you. i cannot seem to get my ibanez sr300fm to have a good slap tone. i've tried rolling back my mids and putting my bass up. not doing it for me. im running a peavey microbass amp set flat. thanks again guys

2. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Well if you're still recovering from an injury, I would take it easy. That being said, you could pick up a method book and learn to sight read(what I did) which keeps me occupied while teaching me things that I can use later. Try learning all the minor scales? You could also learn the modes, but they kind of come out of knowing the basic major patterns.

I'd say pick up a book and learn to sight read.

3. tmsteph

tmsteph

Jan 11, 2009
    you not including one of the reasons why many people pick up bass... the tunes! learn some music that both inspires you and challenges you.

For a bonus, learn those songs by ear! I see no ear training in your regiment. If you dont develop your ear, you might as well be playing guitar hero!

4. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    READ MUSIC! 10-15 minutes of sight reading a day drastically improves your knowledge of the fingerboard and makes you more marketable as a musician.

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    So my girl friend is awesome. she got me a copy of the Hal Leonard bass method complete edition w/ cds. so looks like reading music will be another skill to add on. thanks for the suggestions on grabbing a method book