1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upgrade v. Cutom Mold for IEM?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ThirstyMonkey, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    Here's my issue: I have a set of Shure E5 IEMs. The cable has begun to short on the left side. I've read that Shure has great customer service and will upgrade to a newer model when an older model cannot be fixed. I've got an e-mail in to Shure, but it seem like I could upgrade to a an SE435 for $150 or a SE535 for about $250.

My other option is to have the E5s reshelled into custom molds with new detachable cables. This can be done for less than a $150.

The cost is a factor, but not the only factor. I want to know if anyone here with experience with IEMs would recommend I do. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

2. I know that 1964 ears do a remoulding service. I got custom molded IEM from them and am happy with the fit and finish.

From my research they were amoungst the best bang for the buck around.

3. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    Thanks for reply, I've heard good things about 1964. My real issue though, is whether my money is better spent making custom molds for the dual driver E5s or just getting the triple driver SE535s.