Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upgrading amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by havuk, May 13, 2005.

1. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    Hello, I'm a lurker don't post a whole lot around here yet :p
    I currently own a Gibson GB440 (almost identical to the Thunderfunk amp) that I love but I was offered a great deal on an Aguilar DB359, I have always loved the tube sound and have heard alot about the quality and awesome sound the Aguilars put out so I was planning on buying the DB359.

I play mostly rock and am always experimenting with slapping etc. My bass is a Roscoe 3005 and my cab is a Schroeder 21012. Will the Aguilar be a huge upgrade in the sound quality department? I would really appreciate any feedback here, thanks

2. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    anyone?? anyone?? :bassist:

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Personally, I loved my old DB359. I ended up selling it because I wanted to get a different cab setup and didn't have a job (or money at all for that matter). I played it through an Aggie GS410. It was very warm, and easy to get a good sound out of. It was bright when you wanted it to be, thundered insane lows when needed, and had funky mids as well.

Is the seller local? Can you try it out? If at all possible, could you buy it and keep the Gibson? If you did that, you could A/B the two and compare them. I wish I could help you out better, but I don't know how I can exactly. The two heads are greatly different and, from what I've been told, are phenominal.

I'd say, if your gut tells you yes, go for it. How much is the Aguilar? (feel free to PM me if need be). What I've realized in the past is that, with the price jump that they had, people try to sell the older ones for more than they bought them for in the first place. Anyway, I hope this helped you somehow. If not, cool beans and good luck.

Oh, have you checked out basstasters? I know there isn't a Gibson head on there, but there is a Thunderfunk. Anyway, hope you make a decision that you're happy with.

Peace

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If the Gibson is like a TF (I've never tried a Gibson amp) then you will get a different sound from the 359. If you love tubes, then you will love the 359. I loved the 359 when I played one.

5. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    Thanks guys.. I went ahead an bought the Aguilar it was too good a deal for me to pass up and I do still have my Gibson so I can A/B them. I'll post s report asap :bassist:

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :p ... :D ... CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know you'll love it.