Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading From BXR60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BioSore, Feb 4, 2006.

1. BioSore

BioSore

Jan 30, 2006
    Minnesota
    Hey. For christmas I got a Fender BXR60 and a Spector NS2000/Q4. Don't get me wrong, I'm not spoiled -- I paid for most of it myself (so kind of a christmas present). Anyways, before I had recieved the amp, I was under the presumption that it was going to have great low attacks and still have a mellow groove. Sadly, it failed in both areas.

So now, I'm looking for ideas on cheap amps in the same range ($125-$175). I realize this range is small, but I'm not looking for a huge amp. I'm going off to college next year and I need to be able to bring this with and play without bothering everyone else. Any suggestions?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    did you say fender bxr s-i-x-t-y (name spelled out on faceplate?, blue and black color?) that was my first amp! it wasn't that great for me either!

the only positive things I could say about it are CD-ins and pretty loud for a 60w 12".

did you buy the amp used for about $150? new they were about $300 I don't think you can do much better for $150. Keep the bxr60, for now, and keep trying different eq settings, but don't expect alot of heavy lows.

Save up your money. check back when you have AT LEAST $400. then you can look into maybe get a good cab (for future rig) or nicer combo.

for about $375 I'd recommend a yorkville xm100, but that doesnot have a speaker extention output. the $520 xm200 has more power and speaker output. a 112 cab I'd recommend would be an aguilar gs112 ($400 new, $300 used).

Edit: thanks for filling out your profile. where in minnesota do you live? I'm in Crystal (minneapolis suburb)

3. BioSore

BioSore

Jan 30, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm from Rochester, SE Minnesota. Pretty decent down here, but slow. Never been to Crystal, but I want to say I've heard of it before.

Thanks for suggestions, you're probably right in the keeping of the BXR60 (exactly as you described). I was hoping that I could find an amp with a lower wattage but with a more smooth tone for the same price, but I'm doubting that now. Power isn't such a big deal, and actually rather a minus because I dont' want to shake the adjoining rooms when I move to college, but I don't think that I will be able to find anything like that at a decent price. Oh well.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, if you want to play with a band, about 50w 12" is bare, bare minimum in my book. I once played a fender bassman 25? kickback model smooth black panel. it was smooth and mellow, but farted out very quickly as I turned it up AT THE STORE! AGAIN, keep trying with the bxr, they are loud for their rating, not great tone, but LOUD!

5. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    also remember, volume can be turned down on a louder amp :)

i practice and play with the same rig. 400 watts of SWR power thru 2 10s and a 12.

and trust me, it can be quiet, or it can be LOUD. either way it sounds equally as good. a nice quality, indeed.

i'll be in college in fall '07, and I plan to have this rig sitting right next to my bed. no way it's going anywhere without me. especially because I plan on playing shows and starting a new band. combos are fun, but when you need power AND portability, lugging a 85-100 lb box around isn't very fun. but when you have separate components, life is sweet. plus you have the versatility fo various heads, cabs, etc etc.