Upgrading from my first gigging amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AdamK, Jun 3, 2018.

1. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm not exactly in dire need to upgrade at this moment (I'm not gigging with anyone right now, or even practicing with others at the moment), but I found a nice looking amp that is twice my current power output. It is an SWR 200W 1x15 combo amp for $170 OBO. My current amp is an Acoustic B100 that has done pretty well for me over the years in bar venues (where it usually acts as a monitor and I go through the PA) and as a practice amp at home.

I will be making a road trip in about a week to a small desert/mountain town in the West for a 6 month job, and I can definitely see myself playing music over there. In fact I've already got a connection. Hopefully not too much country music... :bored: I hear there is Jazz scene too which I will enjoy if it allows for improv and not just traditional style (I've had my fair share of that already).

Here's the thing: the SWR amp is already located around the area that I'll be in (1 hr outside the town) so I'm kind of wondering if it's worth heading down there without an amp to score on this. Seems risky I know. But I am quite sure that I will not be able to fit my B100 in my vehicle with the luggage as well for the trip down anyway. I do have a sucky Fender 15W though.

TLDR: Should I upgrade from an Acoustic B100 to a 200W SWR 1x15 combo ($170 OBO) for future gigs. Or perhaps I should just stick with the B100 beast for now and wait later down the road.

2. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
  3. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
  4. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    That GK 800 Fusion + 212 neo cab is a solid setup for a solid $.
    Just turn up or down the GRRR as appropriate.
    Tons of power and cab for going fastidiously clean if you need it.

AdamK likes this.