Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upgrading my set up?? help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BLonge, Jan 8, 2005.

1. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    aight, a while ago i bought a used older model of the Peavey TNT115. Its been good,but now i need a louder set up. the way i see it, i have two options:

1.) buy another combo amp,preferably 2x10, and patch them together for a bi-amp system.

2.) sell the amp i have now,and put that money toward a half stack or something around $600-$800

now heres the deal: i need a system loud enought o be heard in a school auditorium since my band is opening for ZOX which is playing at my school in march. also,the guitarist in my band just got a new $1700 amp head and hes getting some beast speakers soon,so i dont want to be drowned out by that.

which option is better?

also: as far as i know,i cant hook up a cab to my peavey tnt 115. but i just want someone to verify that i DEFINITELY cant since that would be the best thing that could happen. There is output on the amp called CROSSOVER but ive read in the manual its for a bi-amp system. so if anyone knows the answer to that,id appreciate it.

thanks guys.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  3. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    would 2x10 be enough?

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I use 4x8... so i like 'little' speakers anyway. I cant comment really on "would 2x10" be enough - because i dont know where you'll be playing. Both those Eden T cabinets are pretty efficient.

5. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    you know what,i just redid the math and it looks like id only have about 550$ total (selling amp,football pads,and getting taxes back) if i sold my amp,so idk. its so frustrating.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You probably need to raise some more cash from the parents or a job or something if you want a decent sized rig :)

7. Behringer 3000XT amp + Ashdown 4x10 together are less than $520 at Music123.com. I believe shipping is included in that total.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    two tens arent really going to give you that much more volume. one fifteen has more surface area than two tens does. of course, you may find a 210 that has a higher sensitivity than your 15, in which case it will be louder. I wouldnt bother biamping, usually it sounds quieter than running everything full range. Definitly check out the used market or the cheaper brands. A 300-400 watt head and a 4x10 should keep you happy for a long time. IF it was me i'd get a coupel of smaller cabinets, but considering your budget you'll probably have to go with a 410.